Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Krokit

Scarab mk2 pink

Question

Hi there 

I have a pink Scarab mk2 with Kahler trem made in 1987.

I've never been able to find any info online concerning this particular pink model.

I bought it in London years ago and it had a famous previous owner but I can't prove this so no point in naming them.

Any ideas what it could be worth?

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
19 hours ago, Krokit said:

Hi there 

I have a pink Scarab mk2 with Kahler trem made in 1987.

I've never been able to find any info online concerning this particular pink model.

I bought it in London years ago and it had a famous previous owner but I can't prove this so no point in naming them.

Any ideas what it could be worth?

Dave

Photos would help. They used two different headstocks on these (angled à la Blitz on many of the later ones, or straight à la Phantom on the "production" model). And there must be half a dozen "Pinks"… fuchsia, flamingo pink, laser pearl etc..

The Scarab II was a common enough model, and can be found in catalogues from the mid-eighties. Other than the shape, it's follows the construction methods and hardware of contemporary models – 87 should have a maple neck.

rock.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

How well they were taken care of seems to have a big influence on value too since there are lots of bevels and curves going on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Krokit (Dave), are you thinking of selling the pink Scarab? Is it in the US now or in the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Does anyone have thoughts on whether some of the colors add any additional value to that $800-$1200 value? Is a zulu finish guitar worth more and more rare? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, Krokit said:

I bought it in London years ago and it had a famous previous owner but I can't prove this so no point in naming them.

Is this the actual guitar? Is this the supposed previous owner?

vonarb2.jpg.6f8897859ee6537df786cbdaec654d1c.jpg

It may be worth less if that provenance is revealed. 

Now if it was an '84, and still smelled like the Headhunter tour bus, you might have something worthy of serious $. You could probably make back your investment just charging adolescent males to sniff the case. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 hours ago, Scarab85 said:

Does anyone have thoughts on whether some of the colors add any additional value to that $800-$1200 value? Is a zulu finish guitar worth more and more rare? 

Absolutely color adds to value.  A white or black mint SSI is worth $1400, a Barney Rubble starts at 4k and go up from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

Absolutely color adds to value.  A white or black mint SSI is worth $1400, a Barney Rubble starts at 4k and go up from there. 

Only a black or white SS1 with CROWNS.  A dot version would go for considerably less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

When you say SS1 I'm assuming you mean a Scarab I with one pickup? No?

Also, by Barney Rubble do you mean the zulu paint scheme? And really $4,000 for a Scarab?

I was thinking any of the zulu's would still be in the $900-$1200 range but then again they don't come up often. Last red/black zulu on Reverb was asking $1100 and sold 3 years ago. Not sure the market changed that much in 3 years for the Scarab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Scarab85 said:

When you say SS1 I'm assuming you mean a Scarab I with one pickup? No?

Also, by Barney Rubble do you mean the zulu paint scheme? And really $4,000 for a Scarab?

No... when he says SS1 he's referring to the Steve Stevens... & no, Barney Rubble looks like Barney rubbles shirt... actually "The Flintstones" bottom wardrobe zig-zag  cut HZe5t6J.png

^^ Barney Rubble^^

He's basically just using it as an example on how much rare paint graphics factor to the price... I seriously doubt you'll see a Scarab go for 4K unless it was owned by a very famous person...qx1Q5KJ.png

^^ Zulu^^

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks, Dave. I see now what Studio Custom is saying now. 

Why you tempting me with the red/black zulu?...ha ha 😉. Man I wish one of those came up that was original and reasonably priced. Other than a day-glo zulu, this would be the ultimate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/30/2019 at 10:27 PM, cmatthes said:

Only a black or white SS1 with CROWNS.  A dot version would go for considerably less.

Oh bollocks. I was thinking I'd cash-in big time when i sell my old white 88 SS1 with dots ;)

 

I'm still going to sell it though I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...