Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Frozen tuners

BTMN

Question

The Schaller tuners on my Scepter are starting to freeze up. The High E is near impossible to turn. I wanted to change strings and it has been in the case for a while. I was thinking about taking the strings off  seeing if the thing will then turn easier and maybe turn it a few times to see if that will loosen it up. I also have some mid 70s Grover Imperials that are tight on my old Standard. Those are functional but get tight if I dont change the strings a lil more often. Got any tips on keeping these things in better condition?

86rb28.jpg

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, BTMN said:

Got any tips on keeping these things in better condition?

Unscrew and remove the knobs from your machine head being careful not to lose the washers (usually two grouped together). Then use a dab of grease and coat the stem and all sides of the washers and reassemble.

I don't know if this is a thing or not, but if there's grease inside of those, it may have hardened. A little heat may loosen them up.

I was just thinking about this and with all the guitars I've had over the years I don't think I've ever had one with a frozen or seized up tuner.. I've had seized up potentiometers & bridge saddle screws but never a tuning peg :unsure:

Dabba sewing machine oil or 3-in-one oil down the tuner post shaft, into the gear housing that way.

oiltuner.jpg

Archived