Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Question

Is it possible that a 1980 Sunburst could’ve come stock with a Schaller Roller bridge? I just tried swapping it to what I thought would’ve been original. A Sustainblock bridge, and the neck doesn’t angle back enough. Action too high, with saddles all the way down, and zero relief in neck. 

Strangely, I did not find any lacquer impression of a sustainblock, only of the Schaller roller bridge which was on it when acquired over 5 years ago. 

9 answers to this question

Pics?

Hey Chris! I failed to take shots when it was off, but I’ve a side by side I took to a new Sustainblock. It’s proud, and would need to allow lowering of close to 1/8” for decent action. (Not appearing to want to upload. Will try retake something smaller in size). Interestingly I didn’t see any Sustainblock impression under the Schaller bridge that was on it. I’d expect to see evidence of one being there before?

Trying again... Two photos. I now have Sustainblock mounted (saddles low as possible)w/Schaller roller bridge which originally was on the guitar, sitting next to It. Note height difference, of which the Schaller lies at a lower profile. 
The other photo illustrates action still quite high. Saddles are as low as possible. Neck has very minimal relief, if any. 
My thought is this didn’t have a Sustainblock to start with for two reasons. 1) The only impression I see in the finish under the bridge is of the profile of the Schaller roller bridge. 2) Inappropriate neck angle of the set neck. 
Maybe this was, or wasn’t meant to be. In any case it needed a lower profiled bridge, and so it had the Schaller installed. Being 1980 this should be one made in whole at Arlington Heights. Customer request? Goof/fix?
See photos. Thanks. 

C96285C4-23A3-40CD-8E7E-A2B6EA898B59.jpeg

F9216CCA-165E-4353-911D-341925533E7B.jpeg

Edited by Hamer Dave

Did they even make those bridges in 1980?

FWIW, Carvin used flat-mount bridges with string rollers (Schaller LP6) on their guitars in 1988-1989...scroll down the Carvin Museum page below about 2/3 of the way to find it:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelguitar.html

I don't know of any other history of it being used by anybody else other than this.  Schaller might be able to tell you the intro year for this bridge in their parts line-up.

Edited by crunchee

Chris,

Yep, that needs to be determined. Will dig a bit. I do recall seeing these in the 80’s, how early though is to be determined.

crunch’,

I checked out the Carvin museum page. Nice resource on Carvin! These were heavily used on Hamer Basses around that time as well. 

Going to try and find the year these were introduced. 
Thanks. 

• Like 1

I've heard of this neck angle problem before – I believe Hamer were still assembling some guitars from Holmes-made parts (mostly the bound-bodies) in 1980, and possibly they got the neck-angle a bit wrong. I've seen another Sunburst (can't remember if it was 1980) that had some thickness machined off the underside of the bridge block to compensate. I have a letter somewhere where Frank Untermyer recommends this as the solution.

I would also point out later sustain blocks (86-88) were higher, possibly to equal the height of a floyd, and if you've used one of these it will be too high.

As for the Schaller - little chance it's original. A photo of the screw holes sans-bridge might offer some clues.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hamer Dave said:

Chris,

Yep, that needs to be determined. Will dig a bit. I do recall seeing these in the 80’s, how early though is to be determined.

crunch’,

I checked out the Carvin museum page. Nice resource on Carvin! These were heavily used on Hamer Basses around that time as well. 

Going to try and find the year these were introduced. 
Thanks. 

The bass version of that bridge was very popular, used on Hamers, Carvins, and Gibsons, among others.  The guitar version, apparently not so much.