Hamer Fan Club Message Center

10 Inch Speaker Suggestions for Rivera Pubster 25.

tbonesullivan

Question

Well, this would be why my Pubster 25 sounds off when I turn it up loud. I picked it up used, and never noticed this until now. This WAS a legend 1058 by Eminence. Now I can see that something got on the speaker at some point, and also there's a dent in the side of the frame, and overall I think the frame is kaput. Good speaker, but now that I need a new one, I wanted to think about options. Any suggestions for a good 10 inch speaker? I could just get another Legend 1058, or maybe something Alnico like the Eminence Legend 1028K.

I'm having not much luck finding out what the stock speakers were in these. Looks like Rivera used several.

167010089_10159730264343923_8768257654770229991_n.jpg

9 answers to this question

Playing it safe: Rajin Cajin Flat response, punchy tone, clear highs. 

Make a big amp sound bigger: Warehouse ET10, big midrange, tight low end, sweet high end but never harsh. 

Classic Tone with no fear of blowing the speaker: Celestion VType Jr. A Mix of the Greenback/G12H30, has all the husk and character of a Greenback with the added clarity of  a G12H30. 

Alternative: Find a Dr. Z labeled ceramic 10", they are made by Eminence but are a Variant of a Celestion Speaker and sound great. 

18 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Playing it safe: Rajin Cajin Flat response, punchy tone, clear highs.

I've heard that suggestion a lot. But also, a lot of people who said "just get another 1058 it's a good speaker", which I guess makes it the other "safe" choice. The Cajun seems to have more aggressive lows and highs, while the 1058 is more restrained with a smoother top and and warmer sound.  I'm sitting around listening to every clip and reading every comparison I can find.

8 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, to keep my OCD from going insane, I just went for the 1058.

This video helped.

The RC is anything but harsh, it’s actually nowhere near that. You went with what you know, so you made the safe choice.

38 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

The RC is anything but harsh, it’s actually nowhere near that. You went with what you know, so you made the safe choice.

Definitely not harsh at all. Maybe "crisp"? I tend to like speakers with a bit of a rolled off high response. I almost actually bought BOTH speakers, but I've already got a bunch of raw speakers hanging around that I need to sell off or something.

The Eminence Texas Heat is one of my favorites. I have an open back 2x12 loaded with those that is my "go to" for my heads, as well as combos when I want more sound dispersion.

3 hours ago, Menehune said:

For what it's worth, the Eminence Legend 10" in a Subway Rocket Reverb is the spellcaster that keeps me from selling that little amp. Very nice voice.

They really are good speakers. Maybe not as specialized or magical as some of the more expensive ones, but a lot of people like them, and the Ragin Cajun. A lot of people are not super happy with the speakers that come stock in a lot of the smaller Fender combos.

I've got the 1058's in an open back 2 x 10, a Ragin' Cajun in a Fender Super Champ XD and a Ramrod in another Super Champ XD.  And a Copperhead (slightly brighter) in a Pro Junior. I like 'em all.  And yeah, the biggest upgrade you can make to a small Fender is A Ragin' Cajun or Ramrod.  The Ramrod might have a smidge more forward mids but the difference is very subtle.  Really, in that amp, you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Archived