Hamer Fan Club Message Center

25th Anniversary has a case-fluff beard. Advice?

Dr. Bear

Question

Dear Sages:

Just extracted my 25th Anniversary (1999) from it's Hamer case and, Ugh!, discovered case fluff all but glued on in this one spot. Have no idea why this happened but here 'tis:

1979370441_25thfluff2.jpg.a3bdf19c6d8680e2dc48426cb388bab9.jpg

I've read recommendations here at HFC for WD40 and nail polish remover but am fearful of damaging the near-pristine finish on this lovely. Would y'all recommend one of those solvents? Or just a damp soft cloth? Or some other more arcane remedy?

8 answers to this question

Don’t try the following, just ideas to see if others may know if they are safe 

• Damp warm cloth 
  • Lighter fluid/naptha
  • Dr. Duck’s Axe Wax

Looks like something going on with the finish. Maybe something got in the case.

Thanks, BoogieMKIIA and Cynic! That’s two votes for naptha. I’ve ordered some tonight. 

Went through all of my Hamer cases, trying to find a foreign substance, sticky spot or spilled humidifier, but all seemed well. Fingers crossed this was some anomaly with the case but, barring further sage counsel from HFC, I’ll try naphtha when it arrives.

I& it is just in that one small area, you may be able to salvage the case by covering the weird area with an old piece of tshirt. Tha5 would prevent the case part in question from contacting the guitar. 
Really though, if you haven’t found anything in there, it seems to be reacting like something in the case is off-gassingsomething righ5 in that area that is reacting with the finish….or for whatever reason that part of the p,use or the glue under it is reacting with the Hamer urelac…and that is surprising. Though thin, urelac is pretty impervious. 

You might need a new case.

Thanks, Jakeboy! I’m airing out the case for 48 hours and installing a distilled water humidifier in the hopes of salvaging this malevolent case. But yes, the offending area is just a few inches at the bottom so I’ll take your suggestion and will slide a dry wipe (medical issue all-but-sterile paper) ‘twixt 25th and case.

- Dr. Bear (custodian of Ultimate 0053)

Terrific One, thanks!

A clean, damp, warm cloth took off 90% of the stuck-on fluff. A wee application of naphtha soap (as per BoogieMKIIA and Cynic) removed the rest. After  keeping the case open near a portable room heater for two days, placed 25th Anniversary back in the case. 24 hours later: no recurrence apparent. Will check every day for a few weeks. But you’ve got me checking out Goo Gone. That stuff looks like the perfect solution for removing the stubborn stickers on Herco humidifiers that otherwise dry out and shed in the case.

This is exactly what happened to my Standard Bass #0531.

The original finish didn't have enough hardener and the case fluff melted into it.

Archived