Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lil help from a Centaura owner?

Stike

Question

I have a Centaura project I'm wanting to wrap up and am missing one of the threaded brass inserts for the pickup screws, anybody have one or know the exact specs so I can order one? Hopefully the former because I suspect you can't order only one.

10 answers to this question

I don't know what thread size you need, but I've sourced brass body inserts at my local Mom and Pop Ace hardware. Bring the screw(s) you're trying to match.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jeff R said:

I don't know what thread size you need, but I've sourced brass body inserts at my local Mom and Pop Ace hardware. Bring the screw(s) you're trying to match.

Those off-the-rack items won't reverberate in your rib cage like OEM parts will.

OEM or Mom-n-Pop Ace, a "match" requires knowing the thread size of the screw in question. Knocking hard cobwebs off my now-sober memory, I kinda remember direct mount Hamer pickups did not use the screw size you typically see to mount Fender single coils to a pickguard, Hamer's screw was smaller in diameter; or humbuckers to a ring for that matter, Hamer's direct mount screw was larger. But I can't recall working on a Centaura in over 10 years and my memory so I may be fullashit.

I use these to determine thread counts. YMMV as to if this is worth investing $66 for OEM's sake.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-measuring/thread-detective-for-guitars/

On 11/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Stike said:

@butcherto the rescue! Thank you.

BUTCHER IS EVERYWHERE!!

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

So, curious what is the size for the insert?  I always disliked the just screw it in the wood method, especially on pricier guitars. 

I'll let you know when I get that figured out. This Centaura project was purchased with no pickups So I still need screws.

Archived