-
Posts
4,896 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
24
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by BadgerDave
-
Since we're not getting any younger
BadgerDave replied to sirDaniel's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Other: Becoming invisible to women under 30. Not that it matters to those of us who are happily married, but still, the apathy is a blow to the ego. -
Damn, I saw him with Eric Clapton a copuple of years ago and he was fantastic. I still remember seeing Billy perform "Will It Go Round in Circles" on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert back in the 70's.
-
Mine is a '59. I sold it earlier this yearfor around $7K. The chipboard alligator case sold for $750!!!!!! Great guitars, but I believe the market is about topped out. Of course I could be kicking myself in a few years.
-
$350 may be on the high side for that one. Of course it does have the "more desireable" 3x3 headstock.
-
Some early morning statistical analysis: A = Level of musicianship at the MWJ rises. B = Badger absent. Correlation between A and B = +1.0! Sticking to my alternate year MWJ attendance pattern, I'll be back to push the musicianship curve southward in '07. Looks like y'all had a blast.
-
WTB: Hamer Triple Threat
BadgerDave replied to musicman's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
You want me to back up my gratuitous comments with facts? Damn lawyers! O.K., first there's the neck. The profile is, IMO, perfect. It starts out nice and meaty at the nut, then gradually gets fuller as you move up the neck. It has substance and a great vintagey feel. Then there's the weight. These are a good 1 -1.5 lbs lighter than your average Studio Custom. Next, the wood. Collectively, the TTs had some of the nicest tops and figured Brazilian rosewood necks I've seen on a group of Hamers. There have been more dramatic one-off tops, for sure, but the TTs are made with consistently elegant pieces of wood. Finally, the TTs resonated noticeably more than any SC I've played. This may be the payoff from the one-piece neck, increased neck angle and TonePros hardware. You know the sound and feel of striking a quality set of rosewood claves? The TT is a lot like that. I've been advised to refrain from further comment on Greg's post. I have no recollection of those events at this time. -
WTB: Hamer Triple Threat
BadgerDave replied to musicman's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I said "production" model, Greg. That was secret code for "except for the BCR Juniors". Geez, did ya leave your decoder ring at home today? -
WTB: Hamer Triple Threat
BadgerDave replied to musicman's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
(Blushing) Thanks for the support, guys. The checks are in the mail. The deal is done and Mike's going to be really happy with the Triple Threat. I don't believe Hamer has made a finer "production" guitar. I played a half dozen of these at Dave's Guitars and every one was a gem. Someday soon I'm going to be asking about a custom order made to TT specs with a few tweaks, like a chamber, ebony, crowns and 6 ply binding. -
WTB: Hamer Triple Threat
BadgerDave replied to musicman's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
$2K plus shipping. Price is firm. I can take PayPal if you add 3%. The guitar is exceptionally nice, light and sounds/plays/looks better than any '59 RI LP I've experienced. Original case and certificate included. One tiny ding on the back edge, not through the finish, otherwise as close to mint as a used guitar can be. e-mail me at david.owen@mchsi.com for more info and photos. -
What needs to be done to make a lefty?
BadgerDave replied to Imiss85's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
And don't forget that the side fret position markers will now be on the side of the neck facing the floor. Which makes them really hard to see!! -
Settle down there, Red. No one's been rude to you here. You just raised our collective BS meter with your initial deceptive eBay "Ted Nugent Signature Guitar" listing and your hyperbole rich, factually challenged second listing. How about actually answering the questions about the electronics and fret wear, rather than tap dancing? The correct answers are: 1) the electronics are not original, (not, "I can't confirm that all of the switches are original") and 2) a full description of the condition of the frets (not, "Fretboard and frets are not an issue"). You lost more credibility by overstating the book value of the Blitz and the differential between the different headstock models. Check your math. Add in the fact that you're quoting prices for excellent condition, all originial guitars with OHSC, when yours has modified, poorly executed wiring, a likely replaced tremolo (does the Floyd say "Hamer" on the baseplate?) and no case, and you come across as less than honest. By the way, $69.00 for shipping a guitar with no case? What's the extra $50.00 for? If you can bamboozle someone into paying what you're asking for that guitar, more power to ya. You have a bright future in the diet pill infomercial industry. I'll tell you what we respect around here. People who are honest and straight-forward. We demonstrate that by respecting each other's intelligence and quickly dismissing those who employ dishonest tactics, whether on eBay or on this board. If you keep coming back for validation that your $1,200 asking price is valid, it's not going to happen. If you're one of those guys who just has to have the last word, or needs to posture as the smartest guy in the room, I'll look forward to your reply.
-
Red, I don't know what "book" you're looking at, but Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric guitars lists a MINT 3x3 Blitz at $575 and a mint 6 inline Blitz at $675. No case, added switches and wear put your friend's guitar in the VG catagory at best. That puts the "book" at $350. That said, the various blue books are notoriously innacurate when it comes to Hamers, particularly the more unusual models. There are people on this board who will go to great lengths to help folks with questions. Many of us have been playing and collecting Hamers for nearly 30 years. We have authorized dealers, former Hamer employees, authors and editors of national guitar magazines participating in this forum. We have members in Europe, Japan and South America who contribute regularly. You can blow off the comments you received here if you want and I hope you get what you want for the guitar. However, if someone offered $800 for that guitar, you'd be wise to jump on it - that's roughly double the market value.
-
Hi Red. Welcome to the board. Is this your listing? eBay Zebra Blitz auction If so, I'm afraid you still have a few issues. 3x3 headstocks on Blitz' are far more common and significantly less desirable than the 6 in line versions. Also, this is not Hamer factory wiring: Looks like the extra switches are non-original. These comments are intended to be helpful, not trying to bust yer balls.
-
IMO, for big, clean bell-like "uberStrat" tone, I dont think you can beat a Fralin set with an underwound neck and stock bridge. For almost as good clean plus smooth OD and distorted tones, I like Lollars. The Harmonic Design P-90s are also excellent in a full frequency "hi-fi" way. For classic grit, nothing beats a 45 year old Gibson P-90. I have never liked the sound of Duncan P-90s. YMMV
-
Midwest Jam VI: April 21-23, Chicago 'burbs
BadgerDave replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
The Hampton it is. I'm booked and confirmed. And no Chris I haven't forgotten Jimi the pale elderly school custodian. Someday I will spend more than four hours with you in which nothing bizarre or disturbing happens. Actually, I hope I'm wrong about that. -
Midwest Jam VI: April 21-23, Chicago 'burbs
BadgerDave replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Chris, What's the closest hotel? For some reason my memory of last year's event is spotty. -
Midwest Jam VI: April 21-23, Chicago 'burbs
BadgerDave replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I'm in. And Tom, if I see you smokin' I'm gonna kick yo ass! Smutty, can we go to that weird bowling ally bar again? The one where the waitresses ignored us and Grampa School Custodian played Hendrix? -
What I learned at 06 NAMM...
BadgerDave replied to SirDouglas's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Hmmm, . . . snort . . . whu? Sorry I was napping. I'm in, can Hef score the badges? -
I can think of few better reasons than this to give up if you haven't made it by the time you're 38!
-
I was working at Ward-Brodt Music in Madison, WI in 1978. Ward-Brodt was one of the first retail Hamer dealers, possibly the second after Pastore. We had four Sunbusts in stock and they were the best guitars in the store. I remember that the Hamers were selling for more than our new Les Pauls. $700 for the dot necks and an extra $50 for the bound and crowned model. Response was split. The hard core Gibson players turned up their noses at the upstart Hamers. Others recognized that these new contenders were a notch above what Gibson was putting out. I claimed a bound and crowned Sunburst immediately and it replaced a '74 SG Custom as my go-to guitar. Unfortunately, My Sunburst was one of the early 1 piece neck versions that developed a fatal twist. Frank Untermeyer graciously offered me full retail credit on anything I wanted as a replacement. I chose a cutom ordered black Standard: The Standard survived a broken headstock and served me well for about five years. I eventually sold it and switched to a series of Specials through the end of the 80s.
-
Huh? What? Sorry, I've been away. Still am, actually. Signing in from Italy, UK tomorrow.