Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Monaco Elite history? Elite owner stories?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. your Monaco looks great. Since you are from Opethtown your are good in my book (hehe).

However. It looks like the strings touch the bridge on the backside of the (whatever they are called, the things you adjust the intonation). I had had the same "problem" with my standard custom. I wrapped th estrings around the stop tail, and got better sustain. Is this a common problem with hamers? I suppose it is a question about neck angle. My friend's yamaha sg 700, which is much cheaper (but still a very good guitar) doesn't have this.

I'm not trolling or trying to hijack your thread at all.

Ordered this before they hit the stores after seeing Matt Smith with the prototype at a clinic at Sim's Music. Ebony board, wide flame Mmmmm.

MVC-284F.JPG

Gene:

That is still my favorite one out there.

Beauty.

Hi. your Monaco looks great. Since you are from Opethtown your are good in my book (hehe).

However. It looks like the strings touch the bridge on the backside of the (whatever they are called, the things you adjust the intonation). I had had the same "problem" with my standard custom. I wrapped th estrings around the stop tail, and got better sustain. Is this a common problem with hamers?

It's not a problem. Just raise the two back posts a

little. They do not need to be screwed all down.

Gibson's usually have the same issue when all down.

Since you are from Opethtown your are good in my book (hehe).

Ha, ha - great!

Actually, I am a big fan of Opeth (have got all of their 8 cd's!) and the reason - well, one of the reasons - for me buying an Elite was that I wanted more bite and string definition, than on my Les Paul... wanting to sound more like Mike Akerfelt ... :-)

And about the strings touching the back of the bridge - thanks, I was just wondering... I'll check it out. Wrapping strings around the stoptail... do I need to reverse the tail also, then? (I guess so...)

3 Aztec gold finish - does it age / darken? (Post your Aztec Elite pics, please!)

Hamer is shooting Aztec much lighter and yellow than they used to. The old aztec was more orange in color. I prefer the old one.

Ordered this before they hit the stores after seeing Matt Smith with the prototype at a clinic at Sim's Music. Ebony board, wide flame Mmmmm.

MVC-284F.JPG

That's what a '59 burst should look like!

Beautiful!

It looks like the strings touch the bridge on the backside ...

I wrapped the strings around the stop tail, and got better sustain. Is this a common problem with hamers? 

It's not a problem. Just raise the two back posts a

little. They do not need to be screwed all down...

Wow, you've got ESP!!

I was just about to post and ask about that. See, I changed the strings the other day and was wondering why the tailpost screws weren't flush to the body.

(I guessed it was because of the risk of cracking the finish..)

Well great, that is an excellent solution..raising the back posts!

Although wrapping around the tailpiece (like was suggested to me) might maybe be even better?!?!

3 Aztec gold finish - does it age / darken? (Post your Aztec Elite pics, please!)

Hamer is shooting Aztec much lighter and yellow than they used to. The old aztec was more orange in color. I prefer the old one.

Like mine, then?!

Well, I was very curious about the actual look of it (bought it via Willcutt's over the 'net!) as the pictures shown DIFFERED in hue...

But when the guitar had arrived after a week and I opened the case for the first time - holding my breath, heart had almost stopped - I saw that it was FANTASTIC. So I guess I'm like you, liking the older hue of Aztec...

Well great, that is an excellent solution..raising the back posts!

Although wrapping around the tailpiece (like was suggested to me) might maybe be even better?!?!

Wraping the strings around the tailpiece may in time

cause the chrome to crack and will leave ugly marks.

But it's zakky Wylde style, so if you are a tough guy

go ahead :D

I prefer to leave the posts a bit up. This is the

way Hamer's sets them up from factory I believe.

They usually do an excellent job. It's also the

way my tech does it. Ad lib guitars in Sumpan.

They are pretty damn good at setting up guitars

so I trust their judgement.

I prefer to leave the posts a bit up...

It's also the way my tech does it. Ad lib guitars in Sumpan.

They are pretty damn good at setting up guitars so I trust their judgement.

Well that's really good news for us swedish shredders! :-)

Because, taking my axe back to Kentucky (Willcutt guitars...!) is no option...!

And I won't want to leave my precious Hamer into the hands of just ANYONE! (I mean, the finish, and all...!!)

So are they expensive? How much for a tuneup?

And do they change the pickups at a decent price?

Like mine, then?!

Well, I was very curious about the actual look of it (bought it via Willcutt's over the 'net!) as the pictures shown DIFFERED in hue...

But when the guitar had arrived after a week and I opened the case for the first time - holding my breath, heart had almost stopped - I saw that it was FANTASTIC. So I guess I'm like you, liking the older hue of Aztec...

Here's a pic of my old 96 Studio which was aztec gold.

So are they expensive? How much for a tuneup?

And do they change the pickups at a decent price?

Sentinel, I mailed you through the profile regarding this.

Sentinel, I mailed you through the profile ...

Thanks, Disturber! I have just mailed you to.

Yet another pic of my Elite coming up.

HamerMonEliteAzCloseup.jpg

Wrapping strings around the stoptail... do I need to reverse the tail also, then? (I guess so...)

No. You just thread the strings from the bridgeside

Like this

post-2-1146785006_thumb.jpg

Oh, boy. I told myself when Hamer first made any single cuts, I was going to get one. Forget that - I needed to place a custom order. I'm not good at posting pics but I am sure there are some of this one floating around.

I think I have the first Monaco Elite with a three pickup configeration. The Queen picked the top at an HFC event, I was instructed not to let go of that piece of wood. We placed a custom order Elite chambered, one of the real BCR Bursts, and lots of flame. Very, very cool guitar.

The second one I own is one of six that BCR Greg had done. Scooter had owned it and put it up on the bay only to be washed down stream to Tejas. I stupidly almost sold that guitar. Some Dumbass came into a local guitar store I was helping out and made the comment that it wasn't as good as Brand X. Some other guy I didn't know said "Bullshit, plugged her into a Zinky and wailed. My mouth dropped. I hadn't made her scream like that and me likey!!! :) The shop owner was all smiles. His wife had already forbade him to play that guitar in store as it resulted in crys "can I have it".

Common sense overcometh. Dumbass then played and wanted to think it over. That was all I needed. As soon as the shop was closed I said, "lets take that one down" and safely took it back home where I put it through some vintage tube.

Said, Dumbass came in the next day to buy the guitar - too late. Hopefully he will find another Hamer and redeem himself and be promoted from Dumbass, to Believer. Amen!

Hamerica

Hamerica's no slouch...

post-2-1146883286_thumb.jpg

I have a Monaco on layaway, should hopefully have it in a month. 

Hey, thats funny, Beergoblin...!

That black translucent Elite is EXACTLY one of the two I was considering buying, a couple of weeks ago!

But finally I decided on my Aztec gold - the one that made me start this thread !

The main reason for NOT buying that black one was the weight - 9 lbs. 4 oz - that is on the heavy side for me.

Had it been a bit less heavy then I would have it here NOW, instead of you getting it (soon) ;-)

Congrats, and may she be happy in your hands! Tell me - when you get it - if she was a great one!

(I'm planning on buying a black trans Studio Custom some time later... so I'm not really that jealous! :-)

What finish is that one in?

Hey Zipperneck!

The finish was orginially called BCR Burst. Hamer changed the name to something else. BCR Greg can tell you how they decided on the color I think the original color was for a Stevie "bygodhecanplay" Clay. It is a very cool finish as it brings out the flames in guitars.

Brother Chris - thanks for the pic.

Hamerica

Hamerica's no slouch...

Hamerica, I need that Vector.

It has rendered me sleepless nights, lol.

I'll send you a self addressed envelope, (a big one),

with 350 init and you can put in there and return to sender :)

Archived