Hamer Fan Club Message Center

VHS Tapes - Can’t recycle, gotta move ‘em!

geoff_hartwell

Question

6 answers to this question

I have had hundreds of cassettes to get rid of.  Like you, I found out they cannot be recycled.  I put a bunch on eBay and waited until someone took them.  Weigh them first so you can estimate postage, and ship them as media mail to get the cheapest postage.  Someone will take them eventually. 

With VHS tapes it is possible to donate to a local charity that will put them out for anywhere from 25 cents to a dollar each.  There are still VCRs in some houses.  I have one that has not been turned on in a few years.  So, try your local Goodwill or Habitat For Humanity store. 

On 3/2/2020 at 8:07 AM, cynic said:

What Steve said...Goodwill still accepts VHS tapes.

One man's garbage...

... is another man's trash.

I got the clue several years ago when I was shopping at Sam's Club for a VHS machine so I could play all the Disney and Sesame Street tapes when the grandkids visit. 

Uh, there were no VHS decks available; this was at least 10-15 years ago. Fortunately they had (and I bought) a VHS/DVD combo and it's still collecting dust in the garage. 

My wife's son and daughter-in-law still had a VHS machine at their home so I mailed a box of our vintage VHS tapes to them (with media mail, of course).

The remaining doorstops were donated to my local Goodwill. Hopefully it kept some rugrats occupied while it allowed their harried mothers to put their feet up and get some rest.

Archived