Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First Post and Big Question

Teh

If you had the chance to design the ultimate Hamer, what would you do? I'm not a shredder, so I'm thinking the Standard and Vector are out of the question. I'm looking for something that's going to be pretty versatile -- Nice clean jazz tones, but able to handle it when I turn up the gain.

1) i hate you.

2) ignore these other clowns, the most versatile hamer is the duotone.

get a high gain humbucker in the bridge, a phatcat in the neck. boom! - rawk, jazz, acoustic, its all there. i love mine. the wooden bridge, neck phatcat pup, & semi-hollow spruce top give it a nice woody tone thats kinda a cross between a solidbody & a jazzbox.

DuoPhat.jpg

Hey Brooks -- Don't hate me 'cuz I'm lucky -- Hate me 'cuz I'm fat, ugly, have horrendous foot odor and am a hack guitarist... there are plenty of other things to hate about me other than luck!!! :lol:

I was thinking about the DuoTone electronics a lot. I wanted to like the Taylor T5 as a all around stage guitar, but just didn't cut it acoustically for me. How is the acoustic tone on the DuoTone? Any problems with intonation as you go up the neck? I like the soundholes on the top -- Very unique looking. With the two switches, does that allow you more p'up combinations?

Elduave -- That quilt is amazing! Would that be considered a Monaco or an Artist singlecut? Is it solid or chambered? BTW, did I read you right -- You Won a custom too? Very cool...

Peso -- Wow!!! okay, gimme the lowdown on the electronics -- Are the buckers tapped so you can go singlecoil in any position? Long scale, right? I love the blank fretboard -- Was thining of doing that as well.

Darc -- Y'know, I was thinking just that -- Go the 5-neck monster direction, then upgrade the ol' medical insurance for the impending back surgery caused by playing that 60 pound beast!!!! Came back to my senses pretty quick after that one...

Seriously, What I'm looking for a guitar that makes you say, "Wow!" when you see it without blinding you with bling, that's really comfortable to play (a neck that's a combination of a 60's Les Paul, American Standard Strat, and a Taylor 814c), and tone versatility that allows me to go from smooth and creamy to Nashville clean, and classic Clapton "Woman Tone" to Billy Gibbons to BB King when I hit the distortion. Ultimately, I'm looking to build a guitar that will give me a reason to sell my Les Paul and flip off that whacko King Henry...

So, who can explain the difference between the Custom/Custom Custom combo, the Duncan Ultimates and the Seth Lovers (PAF's, right?). I love P90's, but will go for that tone later. Also, I've been reading about the volume and tone pots being different than the ones other bulders use. Can you give me more insight?

Thanks again for all the help!!! :)

How is the acoustic tone on the DuoTone? Any problems with intonation as you go up the neck? I like the soundholes on the top -- Very unique looking. With the two switches, does that allow you more p'up combinations?

the acoustic tone won't replace a real acoustic for solo gigs or recording, but works great for me in my acoustic duo (other guy has a martin A/E, so its a good blend).

no probs for me on intonation, but it depends on the string gagues.

the 3 holes are on early duos (newer ones have an F hole).

switches are regular ol' pickup selector, and a mini switch to select outputs (mag, piezo, or both).

duotones2.jpg

Elduave -- That quilt is amazing! Would that be considered a Monaco or an Artist singlecut? Is it solid or chambered? BTW, did I read you right -- You Won a custom too? Very cool...

It's a Monaco SuperPro (Ultimate Quilt). Chambered, probably less than 7lbs. And yeah, I guess I won it (sales incentive program). :lol:

My duotone is my favorite guitar. Light as a feather, overdriven it is a monster. Lay off some and its clean and woody. Darker than my other humbucker guitars but in a good way. Mine had a neck dive problem but pearloid buttons and crome plated brass nobs pretty much cured it. The acoustic side is pretty good. If/when you test drive one, strum over the 20th fret or so and you will get better acoustic sounds.

Also, I've been reading about the volume and tone pots being different than the ones other bulders use. Can you give me more insight?

The volume pots have a steep slope the last 1 to 2 ticks (8/9 to 10). Gives you a more substantial volume swell for a small turn of the vol knob (for soloing).

Have you been in contact with Hamer yet? Am curious to know how much latitude you have for "custom" work.

Personally, I think you should ask for a gold-sparkle Newport, with Floyd Rose and a Hockey Stick headstock as an opening gambit. Anything should be easy after that :lol: LOL

It's really a very simple choice.

Doubleneck - Duotone on top, Artist on the bottom.

Cover ALL your bases!

Personally, I think you should ask for a gold-sparkle Newport, with Floyd Rose and a Hockey Stick headstock as an opening gambit. Anything should be easy after that :) LOL

:lol::):)

Peso -- Wow!!! okay, gimme the lowdown on the electronics -- Are the buckers tapped so you can go singlecoil in any position? Long scale, right? I love the blank fretboard -- Was thining of doing that as well.

Duncan 59's Bridge and neck (Tappable) Duncan single in the middle (RPRW)... 5 way switch (think standard Strat config) middle pot is a vol for the single and pulls for coil tapping outer buckers) Long scale... Ebony board no inlays... just side dots

Finest guitar I have ever played......

After spending a LOT of time with it in the 3 or so months I've had it.. I am considering changing the lead pickup for something a little fatter... Rio BBQ or Duncan C5 most likely.... But I really have 0 complaints overall.....

More pics and details here:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.p...6896&hl=pesopro

Congratulations, Teh! Holy smokes, you hit the jackpot!

I'd lean toward a Newport Pro too. With a flame or quilt maple top. ANd then maybe request some extra goodies like binding on the f holes, mother of pearl logo, victory inlays on the fretboard, maybe ebony fretboard. That's not too much bling, but it will make you say "Wow!". Beware if you have poor bladder control.

That's if you want a hollowbody. If you're after a solidbody, the Studio is an amazing rock & blues guitar. Order it in korina, with quilt maple top, in jazzburst. OMG, that would look killer.

Congrats and welcome!

I was entered in the same contest (so was my wife but she didn't know it) :lol:

One thing you should probably ask yourself (not out loud of course) is what scale length you would prefer...

The Monaco series (with exception of the Elite and Subtone) is the Fender scale length of 25 1/2 inches.

Most of the other Hamer USA models use the Gibson scale length of 24 3/4 inches.

I LOVE my Monaco SuperPro it is one of my best sounding/playing guitars. The low end strings have a more pronounced "snap" that really defines the lower register.

My Artist Custom uses a SustainBlock bridge and has a more open/resonate tone. It is very "sweet" sounding. It plays like a mofo as well.

You have a very hard and insanely fun choice to make here....Enjoy! :)

Thanks guys -- Yeah, this is going to be fun putting it together!

Got an update from Workshop Live today -- Looks like Jol Danzig himself will be involved in the process of designing this baby!!! Was told that WL, Hamer and I will be getting together for a conference call either late this month or early April to discuss ideas, then they go to work for the next few months building the perfect beast! They are also hoping I can make a trip out to the factory for the official "Presentation"! When is the annual HFC pilgrimmage to Connecticut?

KeyofZ -- I've been going back and forth on the scale thing. I own 2 long scale electrics (Am. Standard Strat and Washburn J-9), and all my acoustics are 25-1/2" scale too. My les Paul is currently the only short scale in the house. I guess it'll depend on whether I go hollow or solid body, and if I seriously think I'm going to sell off the Les Paul once the custom arrives.

I really need to get out and play a few different models to see what works best. Any suggestions for a shop in the greater Chicago area with the best inventory selection?

KeyofZ -- I've been going back and forth on the scale thing. I own 2 long scale electrics (Am. Standard Strat and Washburn J-9), and all my acoustics are 25-1/2" scale too. My les Paul is currently the only short scale in the house. I guess it'll depend on whether I go hollow or solid body, and if I seriously think I'm going to sell off the Les Paul once the custom arrives.

Cool...sounds like you will be getting something extra special! :D

This is my latest Custom Order:

2005 Artist Custom

BirdsEye top

NaturalBurst Finish

Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard

Dunlop 6100 Jumbo Frets

SustainBlock bridge

SD Custom Bridge pickup

SD 59' Model Neck pickup

Bound F-Hole and Headstock

ACBE_Full2.JPG