-
Posts
6,139 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
69
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by LucSulla
-
Cleaned out a bunch of older posts. I just put a down payment on a Banker. I don't need to make it all up by selling stuff, but I'm clearing out some more gear to try to cover as much of it as I can. First thing is breaking down this massive pedalboard that I have. That will get posted soon along with some pedals that are just collecting dust. A couple are kinda rare, most are just tried and true classics. I'm moving on to a smaller board to go with my Nano+ board and a lot less pedals. Just tired of fighting signal gremlins and lugging a two-tier board with ramps and a buffer bay. I may post a couple of heads hear too. For what it costs to ship the damn things, I'd probably be open to driving a pretty good way to meet an interested party. Living near Memphis, I'm kinda close to a lot of you. We'll see how that goes. I guess tune in Saturday or Sunday for a bunch of stuff that most of you probably don't want enough to deal with either, haha.
-
Researching all things Plexi: suggestions wanted
LucSulla replied to Travis's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I really liked that amp a lot. -
Researching all things Plexi: suggestions wanted
LucSulla replied to Travis's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
The Plex has none of the dark smooth, thing that other Friedmans have. I've owned a JEL-20, BE-50 Deluxe, and a Small Box, and the Plex is definitely a rawer, far more open circuit than even teh JEL and SB. Dave was dedicated enough on building this thing to sound like a proper old Plexi that it doesn't have a loop. You can screw around with bright cap settings, the variac, and it has a MV of a sort, but if you set the bright caps as you would have found on a Plexi and run it in 50 watt mode with the MV all the way up, it does the thing. It also does things that you hear on Plexis but not on Friedmans, like the kind of weird overtone thing at high volume that sounds almost like a fuzz. I find the MV to be pretty useless tbh, despite people raving about it. It's pretty much the same situation as the Marshall Vintage Modern, though I don't know if it's in the same place in the circuit. Basically it doesn't do much until it does too much, so I just run it through a Power Station. I don't know that it does it any better than Suhr, Germino, or the others in that vein, but I'd say it does it as well. The Bogner Helios ain't bad either, but if you really want to run it as a Plexi, you need to set it to 70s and run into the low input for the most part. But with an proper MV and an FX loop, it isn't really the same experience. It's too easy to bail yourself out if you get tired of it showing your chops up, haha. -
Yeah, this was my understanding. Gibson wasn't really making Explorers in the early 70s, so those made sense. Likewise, no one had really done double cut Les Paul before. If I wasn't too lazy to get off my couch and look at the Hamer book, I'm guessing Vs came along because Gibson had deviated so far from the original spec by the early 80s that the original V was another Gibson design that they had deprecated by the time Hamer started making them.
-
Happy Birthday!
-
Sorry to read this, even though I didn't know Jay. One of my best friends has gotten a similar diagnosis recently, which he is on the front end of but still isn't looking good. It's a lot to take in because, at the moment, he seems as healthy as a horse. When we talk, I forget how dire the situation is even if it is still just something brewing on the horizon. But it's a serious as it gets it seems, and the first time in my adult life someone I'm close to has been given such poor odds of surviving something. I feel awful for Jay and terrible for those of you around here that clearly valued him. I didn't know him myself, but I can definitely sympathize. All that sad shit being said, I'm glad @kizanski posted, beyond the obvious reasons, because it led to taking a deep dive into the archive this afternoon. Holy shit, y'all were some messy bitches 20 years ago!
-
Proof all Klons sound the same.
LucSulla replied to Saul Goodman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I had a Mastoklon for awhile. Cool pedal, but I there are a couple of things I preferred as a boost, and a couple of things I preferred for base dirt. I moved it on as a result. I watched this the other day and was cracking up at around 7:45 when they run down the line and are just like IT'S ALL THE SAME. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Being a fairly competent guitarist really is going from feeling like one of the best to ever do it one show to feeling like you should just sell all your gear and never mentioned every having been a musician the next. -
I have done that in the wood. It's the screw heads that are worn out. I'm not an over tightener, so I have made it work, but somebody who owned it was. Probably why I also had to do the toothpick trick as well, because a few hole were stripped as well. I don't know why people think a little plastic ring needs to be torqued down like it's holding a wheel on a hub that will be flying down the interstate.
-
OK - Let's add a few new things as of March 29, 2026. First up is a Friedman Plex. I bought this around when they came out, and it has never left the house since. I'd be surprised if I have 10 hours of playing time on it. I have no idea how much it sounds like a late 60s Plexi, but it sounds pretty damn good and is a lot different than other Friedman's. It's more open, raw, and pretty unforgiving, which makes me feel like it's pretty spot on for a late-60s Plexi based on what I've read. Master Volume works far better than it should, to the point that I kind of made my Fryette PS-2A redundant. I just made a different board with this amp in mind which had effects that sound good through the front of a Plexi. Because there is no effects loop. The circuit is that old school. The Variac setting is rad, but even the 50 watt setting isn't exactly subtle if you don't want it to be. Cleans up beautifully with the guitar's volume too. I want to love this amp enough to keep it, but I'm a Bogner Helios guy. If you're familiar with a Helios, this amp is like the perfect step between Where the Helios' second channel on the high input takes things and where the second channel stops when using the low input. It's probably a more authentic Plexi experience as well, but the Helios is just a better amp for gigging than the Plex for the kind of stuff I'm doing. I know I'll miss it, but I've just got too many amps that sit around the house and never get used. This one is probably the most desirable of the bunch, so off it goes. Asking $2100 shipped CONUS with PP friends, Venmo, etc. Next, I have some Gibson 59 Tribute Pickups I took out of a 2014 Les Paul Traditional. They were a little too chimey and uncompressed for me. I think they sounded great for that sound, but that isn't really what I dig. There is a bit of lore around these. They were only used in the 2014 and 2015 Les Paul Traditionals before Gibson switched back to the 57/57-plus combo in 2016. The rumor mill on the forums said Gibson liked them so much that they stopped putting them in Trads and went to putting them in Reissue series guitars the next couple of years. What I know for certain is that they are potted, unbalanced, and have Alnico II magnets (which means they are not the same as the $1k 59 Reissues Gibson currently sells, which are Alnico II). I can also say for certain that they are much different than the Burstbuckers and 57/57+ pickups. They are much clearer and, like I said, chimey. It's almost like a little telecaster slipped in there when I had them in a Les Paul. Asking $300 for the pair shipped. I'll get some picks up later.
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
God, I love Entombed. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
As you well know, I didn't start that one 😛 -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
This thread is still by far my most lasting legacy and arguably my greatest contribution to humanity. -
Seriously thought this was DLR while quickly scanning through this thread.
-
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I should be forced to look at all bank and credit accounts before being allowed to complete guitar-related purchases. -
We've all paid for seeing tits in one way or another.
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I wonder if Steve Harris fucks in a gallop. I was listening to Iron Maiden today, and for some reason, that thought just cracked me up. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
No amount of your patented grumpery will dissuade my love of Mr. Bungle. California is one of the best albums ever, and their last album that came out in 2020 is one of the best thrash albums to come out in years. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Just going home when the set ended early instead of deciding to hang out for a night cap would have been a good idea too. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
LucSulla replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
100% doing a country show tonight in an Adidas track suit with Adidas branded slides and flat bill hat and a Morbid Angel T-Shirt underneath. Because I'm that guy. Wonder if Family Dollar has any cheap "gold" chains...