Disturber Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khX9MEvEMHMCool guitar. But, what is it? "Homemade"?
atquinn Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 Love that song. No idea what guitar that is though.-Austin
mirrorimij Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 I think its a Charles Orr custom. He did some work for him and his video shows an image of a similar guitar here. Look about 30 seconds in. edited to add....look at the Prince video 21 seconds in- notice the knob layout and pickguard. Then look at the Charles Orr at 29 seconds. What do I win?
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 Can't currently get to the video...but I thought Prince's guitars were pretty much all Hohners?
Disturber Posted January 19, 2011 Author Posted January 19, 2011 Can't currently get to the video...but I thought Prince's guitars were pretty much all Hohners? Nope, (we are talking about the Teles with leopard pic gards), not really Hohners but Bad Cats made in Japan. They made for Hohner, so early Hohners are identical. The there are reissue Hohners called "The Prinz", and other things. Then he had really spacy guitars made from what I think is a German luthier, the Symbol guitar and others. Then the shortscale model that is often refered to as "The cloud guitar". I think the original ones were made by a UK luthier, but I am not sure. There are cheap versions of this guitar made on some kind of license deal with Prince, might be Hohner that made those too. Now lately he's been seen with a floyded Fender strat as well, light blue. Very cool. It sports the usual white EMG´s that he uses, (not in the Bad Cat tele's though). A Charles Orr guitar then. It looks funky, in a cool way. Very 70's. I want one
carfish7 Posted January 19, 2011 Posted January 19, 2011 I think there are a couple local luthiers represented in that one The guit prince is hitting sure looks like a Chuck Orr and I'd bet the bass that Andre is playing was made by David Rusan, who was responsible for the first Cloud piece (as seen in Purple Rain and elsewhere). But who knows for sure with the Purple One...... Z
frank_c Posted January 20, 2011 Posted January 20, 2011 Can't currently get to the video...but I thought Prince's guitars were pretty much all Hohners? Then he had really spacy guitars made from what I think is a German luthier, the Symbol guitar and others. Then the shortscale model that is often refered to as "The cloud guitar". I think the original ones were made by a UK luthier, but I am not sure. There are cheap versions of this guitar made on some kind of license deal with Prince, might be Hohner that made those too. Auerswald made the original "symbol" guitar and the Lovesexy-era ones that looked like they had a handle running from the horn to the headstock.Schecter made the Cloud copies. original made by a guy in Minneapolis, at the old Knut Koupee store.
Disturber Posted February 4, 2011 Author Posted February 4, 2011 Then there's this... RAAFFFLLEEEEEE! I want that guitar.
cloakerz Posted February 9, 2011 Posted February 9, 2011 I WANT THAT GUITAR!!!!!!!!!! needs to come to canada for sure
lincsman Posted February 9, 2011 Posted February 9, 2011 I found this link on the nethttp://musicthing.blogspot.com/2006/05/epi...oud-guitar.htmlIt says David Rusan made it in 1983
carfish7 Posted February 9, 2011 Posted February 9, 2011 I had a Cloud once.....Don't know who made it, but it was the "real deal". What a P.O.S.! How can he play something like that!?! Z
Question
Disturber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khX9MEvEMHM
Cool guitar. But, what is it? "Homemade"?
12 answers to this question
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.