Hamer Fan Club Message Center

KISS podcast Pod of Thunder: starring yours truly

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When that track was released, a local DJ said about it - "It's catchy. It sucks, but it's catchy!"

Have the new ep downloaded to listen to later this week.

When you guys were discussing Jean Bouvier on the "Uh! All Night" ep, my wife was beside me in the car. Every time Nick said he thought he remembered something - the mohawk, etc. - I said, "Yep, that's right." And when he mentioned the band, it took me a couple seconds and I said, "The Plasmatics!" My wife lost it when he said, "There are probably people screaming at their computers right now..."

Maybe someday I'll grow up to be a research assistant!

Two things about the "Psycho Circus" 'cast - first, something unexpected, it made me look at the song in a different light. I never thought of it as something akin to "Hello Hooray" or "Hello There".

Second, loved the Ghost talk. FYI, they were just on a local show called PromoWestLive (it's put on by the promoters who run the venue they appeared at here). They put up the eps at promowestlive.tv, but I'm not sure of the lag time. Fair warning - they cut off chunks of most of the songs.

And just because you guys said you'd be talking about it, I watched 4th and Loud. God, I hate how those shows are edited with their fake drama and conflict.

Alan

Episode 68 is now ALIVE! Andy, Chris and Nick analyze "You Love Me to Hate You" from 1989's Hot in the Shade! Also, Andy gets word during the episode that there's a possible burglary in progress at the now-vacant Throat Donut Studios! Check it:

For iTunes users: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pod-of-thunder/id639350818

For non-iTunes users: http://podofthunder.libsyn.com

you guys shock me w/ the dreck you give thumbs up to... but hey, i hate everything.

well, not everything, but the majority of many things, esp music. def kiss music. yet i do love a handful of kiss tunes intensely.

i have been drinking.

I'm a couple of episodes behind, need to catch up.

One thing I've come to appreciate from the hours I've spent listening to POT:

Ace was one hell of an effective guitar player.

One thing I've come to appreciate from the hours I've spent listening to POT:

One thing I've come to realize from this statement is that you have way too much time on your hands lol.

There's some glowing commentary about Ghost in one of the recent episodes. Sadly, not so much Ace content of late. One of our listeners pointed out that it's been three months since we've featured a pre-1978 song.

Random Song Generator = Piece Of Shit

Ace's effectiveness is emphasized by the comparative self serving (as opposed to song serving) wankery of many who followed. But, yeah, I'm still waiting for Black Diamond.

I played Ghost at my fantasy football draft last weekend. Lots of interest and immediate iTunes downloads.

I played Ghost at my fantasy football draft last weekend. Lots of interest and immediate iTunes downloads.

Please tell me you named your team "Opus Eponymous."

Nope. We are the Pissed Nitschkes

da664b4a041be7abf5e751e64bb2a0d2.jpg

P.O.T. Bumperooski

"Love In Chains"

One of my fav Paul Stanley songs. I was jamming along with this song, and few others off his solo album, (Goodbye, Tonight, Move On, Wouldn't You Like To Know Me), just a couple of nights ago. I love this album.

General concenus is the Ace's solo album rules them all. And I agree, but Paul's is within a StarChild chest hair of equalling it. And on some days I give Paul's the edge. Essentially a tie for me.

I'm pretty sure the lead guitar is Bob Kulick on this track. (I could be wrong tho). Steve Lacey does play, but on Rhythm guitar.

Paul's book, Face The Music, touches on where he was coming from during the recording of his solo album.

Excerpt From: Stanley, Paul. “Face the Music: A Life Exposed.” iBooks. :

"So after wrapping up KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, we each went off to make an album with no knowledge of what the others were doing.

I had a lot of fun, actually. I didn’t want to stray far from what KISS did. But it was great to be able to work with no tensions, no egos, and surrounded by talent. I started cutting demos at Electric Lady in New York, then went back out to L.A. to re-record them. After we cut a few of the songs, I realized they just didn’t sound right. The demos might not have been perfect or the most fidelic, but they captured what I was looking for, so I decided to keep them and finish them. I liked the spontaneity and rawness. Then I cut another four or five new songs in L.A.—I had a band in New York and another one in Los Angeles. The only person who was in both was Bob Kulick.
As for the songs, “Hold Me, Touch Me” was about Georganne. I had flown off to see her frequently during downtime, and the song came from being away from her and hoping she was thinking of me when we weren’t together. Most of the songs, however, were about Carol Kaye, a stunner in Bill Aucoin’s publicity department whom I was seeing at the time and was crazy about. She was funny and smart and loved music, and the heat we generated at times could peel paint. Carol was romantically involved with someone else, too, and I had been trying my damnedest to get her to stop seeing him. I basked in the drama of that classic love triangle, but I was desperate to pull her away from him. “Tonight You Belong to Me” and “Wouldn’t You Like to Know Me” are about her. “Tonight” remained one of my favorite songs because of that tear-your-heart-out passion and pain that I knew so well."
Paul and Carol Kaye, the muse for his solo album.

PaulCarol_zps47e41898.jpg
Carol Kaye and Peppy Castro. Peppy appeared on Paul's solo album, and was a member of Blues Magoos, whom Ace was buddies with in the '60's.
CarolKaye-PeppyCastro_zps284b4e3b.jpg

^^^

Thanks for the bump, LOTT!

Yes, Episode 70 is now ALIVE! Andy, Chris and Nick analyze "Love in Chains" from Paul's solo album! Check it:

For iTunes users: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pod-of-thunder/id639350818

KISS My Meatloaf.

Before the next POT episode airs, I thought I'd post a couple of videos, as it's kinda relevant to Paul's solo album.

Meatloaf's original touring band featured Steve Buslowe on bass, and Bob AND Bruce Kulick on guitars.

Steve Buslowe played bass on the 1st side of Paul's solo album. Bob Kulick, as we know, was the lead guitarist for the project.

On the YouTube videos, Bob Kulick, stage left with the Mockingbird, may not be to recognizable, because he has HAIR (or a wig) in the video. And Bruce is stage right.

Bruce played lead for KISS for 12 years, as fans are aware.

Episode 71 is now ALIVE! Andy, Chris and Nick analyze "Thief in the Night" from Crazy Nights! Then comes a requisite discussion of Gene's recent "rock is dead" comments. Check it:

Archived