Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Monaco Elite Output Jack Problem

JLester

I'm having trouble with the output jack on my Monaco Elite. The cable tip doesn't seem to be making a good connection. If I put pressure against the side, it will sound fine, but otherwise is crackly or no output at all. I took the backplate off and it is not only soldered to the ground wire, but also to the pot closest to it. Is it normal to do both? Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks,

Jason

Check to see if any ground paint got on the walls of the jack hole. If any part of the jack touches the walls, or gets close to it, it will do that. It could be bad soldering. We had different people doing them. The jacks also suck. One of the feet might have been bent putting it in also, so the pressure might not be there. It could also be that the guitar weighs 95 lbs and it might be fucking with your chord. It could also be the govt. fucking with your signal between your guitar and your amp. You could also be on drugs when you plug it in.

Bm

Check to see if the cord end is metric, metric ends are just a little smaller diameter then inch USA type plugs, also it only takes a little bump with a cord plugged in to mess up the switchcraft 151 jacks used in most Hamers.

Cool Beans

Gene

Is it a Switchcraft jack. Hamer used them in the 90's in to the 00's. I don't know when the changed brands.

But the switchcraft is part number 151. It went bad on my Korina Standard and I mailed Kim Keller, Hamers customer rep.

He said: "The jack is considered a 'wear' item and is not covered under the warranty."

I just bought a new jack for like 20 bucks and swapped it for the one with bad connection.

Edit: This is the Switchcraft jack Hamer used: http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=884

I just received a two Switchcraft 151 jacks in the mail yesterday. I got them from Markertek on a recommendation I received in my own similar thread a couple week ago. Here's a link:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/62125-flush-mount-jacks/?hl=jack

Markertek were great. The jacks were $4.79 apiece, shipping was reasonable, and they threw in a free catalog AND a T-shirt, even though my order was under ten bucks.

I once fixed one by taking a jewelers screwdriver and tweaking the contact inside the barrel...

personally, I don't like them... not sure why Hamer was so loyal to what is a $2.00 part.

maybe cos it was a $2.00 part.

I went by the local store today and they were out of 151's, so I got a 152B (stereo) instead. When I went to unsolder the original one, it was also a 152 stereo jack. It is defininitely the original since I custom ordered this guitar. Whoever was soldering that day made damn sure it was grounded. The ground lug was flattened down over the pot and then completely covered in solder. It took a while to get it hot enough to finally let go. Anyway, the new jack is installed and working now.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

Check to see if the cord end is metric, metric ends are just a little smaller diameter then inch USA type plugs, also it only takes a little bump with a cord plugged in to mess up the switchcraft 151 jacks used in most Hamers.

Cool Beans

Gene

Don't buy any of the "On Stage" products from ww.samash.com, they're out of spec.

Only buy guitar cables that use Switchcraft 280 plugs (1/4" tip/sleeve), or Neutrik brand 1/4" plugs.

The chinese stuff is narrow and short (just like the ....oh never mind).

Archived