Hamer Fan Club Message Center

used Guitar/Bass market.. buy now, or after the Holidaze?

Turdus

Question

In the market to pickup a used bass. What's been your experience?

Most people want to sell before the holidays so they have money?

-or-

All the cool used stuff comes out after the holidays so credit card bills can be paid off?

We may have touched on this before. But I am getting older.. so forgive me if it has.

12 answers to this question

Just buy my JV P-Bass. Before the Holidays, after - I don't care either way! :P

It is a buyer's market on both sides I think, just due to market conditions. That said, lots of folks seeking holiday cash and lots of folks spending their $$ received might make it a wash?

If you're shopping used from a private buyer, I'd wait, IMO. Yes, the Christmas shopping season is shorter than average this year, but unless they've really got it priced low NOW, I wouldn't necessarily pounce on it, provided that price was the only factor, of course. The used market goes absolutely DEAD from after Christmas until Spring/Tax Refund season, from what I remember. In other words, it'll be a buyers' market. Just my two cents.

Cool. Looking to buy a MM Stingray. Don't mind paying a fair price. Just curious to know when the better deals (used market) come out. I hang out on TalkBass, and most are priced about the same.... but then you'll see a guy slash $100 off, attempting to get ahead of the competition I'm sure.

keep an eye on the GC used section... a couple years ago, I found my black Ernie Ball stingray for $699 with OHSC...

right now they have a bunch at $899 used, but they seem to get alot in chain wide.

unless you're looking for a vintage musicman, not tuned into those values.

Hey Turdus,

I think it really depends on the specific make and model of the gear. The economy is always a factor good or bad.

I seem to notice before tax time I see more gear for sale. The caveat of course Hamer speaking was the Chaparral on eBay this past week which I thought was a great deal as well as the Mirage I that was purchased at the Guitar Show in Arlington.

Hamerica

Archived