Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Don't Tell Me You Love Me

wow, that was cheesy, ha

if "cheesy" means "TOTALLY AWESOME", then I agree!

;)

Okay, on a more serious note, I know Night Ranger is cheesy. I like them anyway. They (and Giant) have remained in my music rotation when the songs of other cheesy bands like Dokken and Ratt have just worn thin over time.

all I remember about that song was learning to smack the guitar hard 3? times to get the last 3 warbled notes of the solo this "flutters" the vibrato while your sliding and bending up the notes . as I remember anyway ( saw brad do it )

plus one on the only NR song i ever liked (i want to like them, but just too pop for me... but amazing players).

we are learning this tune in wizard sleeves for the next gig, 8-22 in hight point nc, then 9-11 in gastonia (next to charlotte).

i lucked out because stike doesn't play floyds, so HE got stuck w/ the impossible watson solo, ha.

I'm gonna stink it up good, my alternate picking is atrocious. :P

Brad Gillis is to me the most American of all the American rock guitarists. I also like he's not really a virtuoso, but a maximizer of his own strengths. His solo in "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" is very cool and was the first I tried to learn from a tab. I cannot claim I succeeded back then, but I did learn a ton from those tries, as well as from his educational VHS, which I still have. BTW, Brad's solo album "Gilrock Ranch" is very good, as well as his two live releases with Ozzy (the CD and the VHS). His tone on those was truly great. Never got into NR though. As others here have also stated, they are too poppy for my tastes, even if they're great musicians. Yet, Brad Gillis remains one of my biggest inspirations/influences... in spite of the fact I'm not really a whammy bar guy. :)

Cheesy, cliche, yup, but somehow I love their new record, "High Road."

I like Night Ranger, but there are 3 significant things wrong with that video:

1) Brad Gillis with a black Les Paul?!? It should at least be red w/ a black pickguard or have some red accents or something...all kinds of wrong with him playing that

2) Kelly Keagy looks scared of his drums half the time

3) Jack Blades inadvertently revealing why they need a keyboardist: to cover the bass lines when Jack is too busy gesticulating to actually play the bass.

Somewheres 'round here my wife has the program from their tour in 85 (86? 87?). It's... of its time. But lotsa Hamer sightings.

I think Night Ranger can be best classified as "guilty pleasure." I was too cool to like them in their time, but on a recent 3 hour drive, Sister Christian came on the radio twice, and yes, I was cranking and singing right along.

Guilty.

Pleasure.

Thanks for posting. Love the guy's Peavey. (cross-referencing the Guitar brands that repel you?

thread.

And yeah, I love my Wolfgang and my Firenza P90. Great players.

Archived