Hamer Fan Club Message Center

11s hell yeah

I useta play 11s and then for some reason put 10s and have stuck with that. You just have to play more gently with 10s, but I don't feel like one or the other is better for me. Just different feel. 9s feel kind of weird to me, like I just woke up with gorilla hands.

I think I can sum up my 9's rationale quite easily: I allocate enough focus on just trying to hit the right note at the right time that I can ill-afford to be focusing on added energy needed to push the strings. Sure, if I had been playing bass or 10's and 11's all my life, this wouldn't be an issue. But I've always been a 9 player. I can do what (little) I can do because of the 9's. That includes my trem work which benefits greatly from the 9's.

Playing acoustics with .13's all the time make electrics with .09's unplayable for me.

I like '11's just fine but, to paraphrase Mark Knopfler, I'm "Strictly rhythm - I don't want to make it cry or sing"...

I bend a LOT so I need a gauge that will allow me to routinely and effortlessly bend 1.5-2.5 step bends depending on where I am on the neck. As an EVH fanboi... one simply cannot Erupt with heavy gauge strings.

I have dry skin and can split my callouses easier than the moist skin folks so if I don't wanna be sidelined, I have to keep it at .010 for 25.5".

Actually... .010 on my strat is frigging painful and I gotta adjust my claw a bit (I keep forgetting). I played my strat for a few hours a week ago and my knuckles hurt like a mutherf**ker the next day and for days... there is still some residual pain there. My .010 on my tele is just fine.

.010 on my HSS w/floyd needs to be tuned down to Eb and have the baseplate leaning back a bit like a cholo so I can get just the right "feel" to my bends.

Yeah its what's right for you as a player and for the style. In the last couple years most of my gigs have been non lead guitar. I do most of my gigs these days at the state theater of NC playing everything from banjo to lap steel and lots of bass and nearly 100% acoustic when assigned a guitar role. I kept thinking that the 9s would make up a little for the lack of actual lead guitar playing but it made it worse, put on 11s and it felt easier, w 9s I was chasing the strings w my right hand

Archived