Tommy Posted March 20, 2016 Posted March 20, 2016 I've been looking for an American made Hamer 12 string bass for a long time. Anyone with a one or a lead to one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
django49 Posted March 20, 2016 Posted March 20, 2016 Timing! I had one posted here for a bit, but just sold it about 2 weeks back. Good luck with the search!
carfish7 Posted March 21, 2016 Posted March 21, 2016 Any particular variation? Preferred scale length?
mc2 Posted March 22, 2016 Posted March 22, 2016 I also asked him that......wants a long-scale Chap or B12A.
Tommy Posted March 22, 2016 Author Posted March 22, 2016 Yeah, that's right. I'm looking mainly for a Hamer Chaparral or B12, 34 inch scale. Thanks for asking and I hope you might be able to help me. (:
friarjack Posted March 28, 2016 Posted March 28, 2016 Hey Tommy, Check this out! Might be the one! It's not mine. I just saw it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Hamer-B12A-Electric-12-String-Bass-Guitar-Sunburst-w-EMG-Pickups-amp-ohc-USA-/162021007398?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
Tommy Posted March 29, 2016 Author Posted March 29, 2016 Thanks for the heads up. I offered them $2500. It sold in three hours for the asking price of $2750 I think. I learned my lesson, don't go cheap. Next time I'll just pay the price and get it. I'm getting frustrated trying to get one of these.
HamStd Posted March 29, 2016 Posted March 29, 2016 Would this one work? email me at hamstd@gmail.com if interested. Thanks Peter
Tommy Posted March 29, 2016 Author Posted March 29, 2016 I'm looking for a stock one with two pickups and one output jack. Thanks for the pic, it's a great looking bass.
Bobby Marshall Posted March 29, 2016 Posted March 29, 2016 Wow. At least find out his asking price. That is a fantastic looking machine!
Tommy Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 It is awesome, just not practical for my setup. I use one amp and I don't like the three output thing. Too limited with what I can do with the pickups. Stock ones are always cheaper.
mc2 Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 If you've never played one..... It is very hard to amp a 12ver right using one amp. Most guys split the hi/low signal because the wall of frequencies produced by a 12ver is fairly complex. Works much better with the lows to one amp and the highs to a separate amp with some overdrive. That is why you see the 12vers with two or three outputs....more control running the neck PUP to an amp and the bridge PUP(s) to the other amp. If you have a single output, you will be running that full range signal to a splitter box and then to two amps.
Tommy Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 Check out Dug Pinnick's rig. That's what I have in mind.
mc2 Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 You talking about the rig he used for years or his new 1000 watt signature amp....which is basically two amps in one -- a bass channel for a solid low end and a distortion channel for the hghs.....just like I said you need to,do. Here's his old rig. Again, multiple amps and crossovers and overdrives to split the 12ver sgnal into lows and overdriven hghs, like I said.
Tommy Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 Ok, you are the master and I'm just an idiot. I just can't afford more than one amp, at least for a while. I'll be putting all my money in the bass and I can barely afford that.
mc2 Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 Dude.....just trying to school you in 12ver, so you can make the right decision on what you are trying to do. A lot of guys buy them, use them wrong and then sell them because they can't make them sound like they want them to. You can use a cheap guitar combo with overdrive and a splitter pedal for the high end...and your existing bass rig for the lows. Doen't need to cost much. BTW....if ypu happen to be a great singer Dug is looking for one for his new project with Stewart Copeland.
Devnor Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 With my B12s, I use a dual amp chain programmed into the Axe FX using EQ blocks as crossovers. The high freqs are fed into a marshall model and low freqs into a orange bass model. There is a crossover block that could be used instead I've never really played with it. You can do the same thing on the kemper profiler using the dual path feature but the bass signal (including the treble freqs) would be 100% direct with no processing. If my bass had split outputs that would be ideal.
killerteddybear Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 NOT WANTING TO BE A DICK but have you looked here for alternative brands? http://www.12stringbass.net/
Tommy Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 I have looked at 12 string bass.net for a long time. There are some that look like quality basses, it's just that the Hamers are the only ones I have ever been able to get my hands on and play. I guess all I can do is be patient. I just hate that they're getting harder to find and the prices are going up so much.
mc2 Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 I suggested the same thing, directly and not on the forum....buy a cheap 12ver to try out first, get the hang of it. I used to use an A/B/Y pedal to split my single output 12ver...then switched to a crossover pedal, so I could effect just the highs or lows in separate loops, so the bottom end was still punchy.
cmatthes Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 40 minutes ago, killerteddybear said: NOT WANTING TO BE A DICK but have you looked here for alternative brands? http://www.12stringbass.net/ Not to be a dick, but most of the alternative brands are as awful as that website.
mc2 Posted March 31, 2016 Posted March 31, 2016 ^^^^^^^ And the clown that runs that site got nailed for writing bogus rave reviews n exchange for free gear from manufacturers...so you can't believe much of it. He also FKIN HATES HAMER....PETERSSON...JOL...ETC.. I have multiple old emails from that jerk, slamming and talking sht behind their backs...but then suckng up to them on his site. A real phony. He stole all the files from the old .com site to start his website. Did it while volunteering to co-mind the old site for the founder who was called to active duty fighting in Afghanistan. Nice, huh?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.