Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

#87 Super-C


DBraz

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
4 hours ago, edhohoho said:

Looks like a dream build. Will the back of the neck be glossy or satin? Any updates on the carved top?

It's a Wenge neck, so it'l likely be left unfinished/sealed.

Posted
3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

It's a Wenge neck, so it'l likely be left unfinished/sealed.

Exactly that.  The end result is very low friction with a lovely texture.

Posted

The necks moving along at a pace now.  What an awesome few updates!

Precision work this.  Check out one of the photos for how the black pearl inlays will look without direct light.  Quite subtle.

DF27CEA7-18CD-4933-9638-D5E514487304.jpeg

F72F96FA-481A-4136-BE2D-1607530D8821.jpeg

7A875B7A-1741-4D8C-840A-15E09470CFB9.jpeg

EF68D052-8523-4C15-9D43-B45417742FEB.jpeg

F6C8D094-4E84-4B0A-9D97-DD61C4F61B51.jpeg

Posted
15 hours ago, edhohoho said:

Looks like a dream build. Will the back of the neck be glossy or satin? Any updates on the carved top?

It is coming along beautifully.

It'll be unfinished save for a tiny bit of oil of Mike's choice.  The top carving will get underway soon enough.  Be assured I'll update here when it's underway.

Posted

I've never seen such nicely bound necks. Especially when the binding is shaped to the end of the frets as opposed to the frets going over the binding. Does the former affect fret changes, improve the neck feel, or confer any other advantages? 

Posted
1 hour ago, edhohoho said:

Does the former affect fret changes, improve the neck feel, or confer any other advantages? 

1. Makes fret changes difficult if the customer wants to keep the nibs with the refret. 

2. Some don’t like the feel of unbound fret ends. Some do. 

3. It looks great, but leaves less room for wide vibrato on the outside strings (if that’s your thing).

Posted
2 hours ago, edhohoho said:

I've never seen such nicely bound necks. Especially when the binding is shaped to the end of the frets as opposed to the frets going over the binding. Does the former affect fret changes, improve the neck feel, or confer any other advantages? 

For me fret nibs are always a plus.  

1). Personally I prefer the look.  The feel is neither here nor there to me.  I am not conscious of it when I play.

2).  I use wide vibrato A LOT but I have never run into problems with nibs.  I see the logic though.

3).  By the time I need a refret, and these are 55090’s so won’t wear quickly, I’ll go straight through the nibs.

Posted

That is just fantastic...

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

That’s so cool - I can’t imagine what that’s going to look when it’s finished!

Posted
3 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

That’s so cool - I can’t imagine what that’s going to look when it’s finished!

I know...  It presents its own problems, if that’s the right word given the context of how wonderful it looks already, in that I am not fixed on a colour.  The korina will he left looking as nature intended but the top?  Still not 100% although a few ideas are calling me.

 

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

"Epic" is the understatement of the month, for sure.

Posted
2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Freaks me out every time he does that.

Me too!   😃  The thing is I have a bet that Mike looks forward to doing this.

Posted
2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

"Epic" is the understatement of the month, for sure.

I know...  After a while Chris I'll have to look in a thesaurus for suitable adjectives. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Me too!   😃  The thing is I have a bet that Mike looks forward to doing this.

I don't know... He's definitely a cooler customer than I am, but I'd wager he's a little relieved when it's done.
Makes you wonder how many guitar bodies one has to ruin when learning how to do that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...