Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rotary 3-way switch for a Les Paul?

benjammin308

Question

My son likes his LP except for one thing:  he keeps knocking the switch around on stage.  After playing my Monaco III with the five position rotary switch he asked if he could get a three position version that would work in the LP.  I haven't had any luck finding anything, any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

Can he turn the switch 90º so it operates east/west instead of the typical north/south orientation?

If not, he could maybe go with a master tone and move the switch to the unused tone pot hole.

Another option might be to have him calm the fuck down.....it's plenty out of the way to start with!

This is so ridiculously easy and cheap you're gonna laugh. Take the plastic tip off. Short enough to not hit it, just enough to grip and move it if need be.  

All good suggestions:

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, Dutchman said:

Something like this fit? If it’s 4 wire pup’s you’ll gain 2 more tone selections!

https://guitarelectronics.com/5-way-rotary-pickup-selector-switch/

That's cool, I might have to get that one for myself.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, hamerhead said:

Duct taping the switch down would be more rawknroll.

I have some that checkerboard duck tape!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, cynic said:

Can he turn the switch 90º so it operates east/west instead of the typical north/south orientation?

If not, he could maybe go with a master tone and move the switch to the unused tone pot hole.

Another option might be to have him calm the fuck down.....it's plenty out of the way to start with!

1 and 2 are good, #3 probably not going to work.  Punk rocker.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, Studio Custom said:

These are break-before make, so I don't think you can have both pickups on.  Trying to picture the wiring diagram, am I wrong?

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Jeff R said:

This is so ridiculously easy and cheap you're gonna laugh. Take the plastic tip off. Short enough to not hit it, just enough to grip and move it if need be.  

Brilliant.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, Ua D said:

And that’s how I ended up bleeding onstage years ago.  Those little threads are just rough enough to tear an errant wrist while rocking too hard for a crowd that is too little.  

Blood and punk go together, so this might be perfect.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Archived