Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
  • 0

Drum triggers/pads


Question

I'm looking for something that will trigger drums sounds with my hands. I can't play drums but figure I can tap/punch/slug pads close enough to get the point across.

Somebody needs to invent gloves with midi triggers in the fingertips.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

DIY Midi Gloves

... but most go for a controller like these:

PreSonus ATOM $150

or if you need more pads:

Novation Launchpad Pro $Tree-Fity

Novation Launchpad Mini $110

 

I don't own a pad controller, but I am constantly checking them out with great fascination.  The synth-obsession continues and this is just a cool offshoot.  I am amazed at what some of these people can pull off with this sort of equipment and some imagination.  I am especially enamored with the ROLI Seaboard (think keyboard with the ability to bend notes).

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about:

Then there's this guy on the Cadillac of control surfaces, the Maschine:

 

Edited by velorush
Spelin' What else?
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The Atom looks good, mostly because I have the Studio One software already.

The clips above though.......the 'real music' person in me just cringes at that. I blame the button-pushers for the demise of roll and roll. It just ain't right. I'm with Joe Walsh on this one.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I use a Korg PadKontrol....used for under $100. Works great. I sit and play it on my lap or standing on a table. I play it like drums as much as possible. Match it with Abbey Roads 70s drum kits and it sounds incredible. 
I think Korg has a new pad controller out there. Mine is bulletproof and works very, very well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 10/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, hamerhead said:

The Atom looks good, mostly because I have the Studio One software already.

The clips above though.......the 'real music' person in me just cringes at that. I blame the button-pushers for the demise of roll and roll. It just ain't right. I'm with Joe Walsh on this one.

 

I’d love for tape to be economically viable to record on, cause it’s a fun process. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, scottcald said:

I’d love for tape to be economically viable to record on, cause it’s a fun process. 

Ah yes, the old Tascam 8-track reel-to-reel, a giant 24-channel mixing board and a rack full of Dolby or dbx machines to kill the hiss. Those were the days....

The Tascam 2488 is really similar to the old Tascam cassette tape machines in how it operates. Just that now you don't wait for tape to rewind, you have a shitload more tracks, and that godawful tape saturation is gone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Ah yes, the old Tascam 8-track reel-to-reel, a giant 24-channel mixing board and a rack full of Dolby or dbx machines to kill the hiss. Those were the days....

The Tascam 2488 is really similar to the old Tascam cassette tape machines in how it operates. Just that now you don't wait for tape to rewind, you have a shitload more tracks, and that godawful tape saturation is gone.

Yeah, I worked for a bit in the 90s in an all analog studio - Trident console, Studer A828, 4 racks of outboard gear, a room full of old Fender and Marshall amps and big Genelec monitors.  The tape saturation on the Studer was really nice, especially with an LA-2A compressor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/4/2020 at 3:19 PM, scottcald said:

Yeah, I worked for a bit in the 90s in an all analog studio - Trident console, Studer A828, 4 racks of outboard gear, a room full of old Fender and Marshall amps and big Genelec monitors.  The tape saturation on the Studer was really nice, especially with an LA-2A compressor. 

Likewise, only in the 70's pre digital anything, then later a couple of Eventide pieces.  A friend of mine tells me the cool kids in Nashville record through a 2" tape machine on the way to the DAW.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I pay money for plugins to give my records that tape saturation sound....my recording partner AC has a 2” tape machine....we sometimes run our final mixes through it just for the warmth prior to mastering.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...