Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Guitar Fret size from mid-'90's to 2000's; G&L Fret sizes and Neck Profiles

topekatj

Question

Hi All:

After I sort of threadcrapped on @LucSulla's G&L ASAT FS thread RE: G&L fret sizes I figured I should start a standalone thread...

This is a two part quest for info: I really like the size of the frets on both my '97 Daytona and 2004 Jr. -- definitely not jumbo but also larger than 'Fender vintage' frets. As a rule I don't like jumbo frets, especially on a Gibson scale instrument -- there's no room between the upper frets for my stubby fingertips!

I am considering (custom) ordering a G&L and would like to specify the fret size closest to the Hamer frets I like. Further, G&L offers variations on their neck shape, width at nut, fingerboard radius, etc. In a perfect world I'd either visit a G&L dealer with examples of the various neck sizes or even the factory, if tours existed. However, neither option is possible right now. I'm inclined to specify a 1-3/4" at nut, 12 " radius, smallest frets available neck from G&L. I've never played a guitar with a V profile neck, so I don't know if I'd like that profile. So the questions are:

• What are the size of the Hamer frets I like, and if anyone is a G&L expert, which G&L fret size most closely resembles these frets
  • Any input on the varous G&L neck profiles and fingerboard radii would also be appreciated

Also paging @Jeff R

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

In a regular search window (I use Duck Duck Go, but Google is fine if you don't mind them tracking your every move 🤐 ), type (including the quotes):

"fret size" site:hamerfanclub.com 

The "site:" portion of the search instructs the engine to limit itself to the specific site.  That search got me, among other things, this: 

That thread answers the part of your question about Hamer fret sizes through the years.  Another with the same answer:

😉

Thanks, @velorush, looks like I'm getting somewhere. According to the G&L website, they offer both nickle silver and SS medium jumbo frets, specifically calling out Jescar 57110 SS frets, which have the dimensions of .110"(W) x .057 (T), which is pretty close to the Hamer frets [.100"(W) x .050 (T)] I'm seeking to duplicate.

Thanks also for the search suggestion -- it's funny, the search function for the HFC site itself could not locate any threads with "G&L" in the title, and I know for certain there was a recent thread RE: the G&L Legacy in this specific forum.

Anyone having experience with the various G&L neck profiles and radii?

image.png.645574e9c8ec6edd0d75b1fcf7565071.png

Interesting. The Warmoth site shows the 6105 wire as a bit smaller than the Hamer wire, and calls 6150 wire "The standard Jumbo".

The 6150 wire is a bit narrower and not as tall as the G&L 'medium jumbo'. HmmmmmMmmmm....  GIMME HAMER FRETS!

The standard fret wire remained the same for the time I was there 92-2000.  I worked in the neck department for a few years and fretted many of the 92-95 necks.   It came in pre radiused.  I can’t remember the brand but I want to say “Rock o man” or something like that.

we had a wide selection of other wire that you could select on a custom basis.  

You may like 55090. Jumbo height, narrow width. I put it on my Les Pauls to make the upper register feel more spacious, more like 25.5, between the frets.

46 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

You may like 55090. Jumbo height, narrow width. I put it on my Les Pauls to make the upper register feel more spacious, more like 25.5, between the frets.

Thanks, Jeff, I found this link http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

Seems like the 55095 may be even better for me on a Fender scale length instrument, closer to the beloved Hamer fret .100 x .050.

Crazy to me that only the StewMac #0154 wire matches the Hamer dimensions. I wish @mirrorimij could remember who produced the wire that Hamer used.

I have owned quite a few G&L guitars and basses.  I love the wood quality, as well as the fit and finish, but I sold all of my G&L guitars (Comanche, Bluesboy Classic, Legacy HB-2, and SC-2) because they had 1-5/8" necks, which I can no longer use.  (I still have three G&L basses.)  Currently, my favourite player is a Sadowsky SS-15 which, for me, has the perfect guitar neck for jazz.  I love the 1-3/4" nut width now.  I have toyed with the idea of ordering a G&L 1-3/4" neck myself for my non-jazz playing, but the G&L guitar pickups are too aggressive for me, so I like to swap them out anyway with Lace pickups, which my 1990s era Strat Plusses already have.  The Strat Plusses have 1-11/16 necks, which I can live with for those styles of playing. 

As for the V-neck, I would advise against it, until you have tried one yourself.  Personally, I didn't like the feel.  It felt like a big ridge instead of fitting in your hand like a comfortable C-shape.

In terms of fretwire, I don't know why anybody likes jumbo frets.  They feel, to me, like I am playing a scalloped board.  I am used to medium jumbo (aren't we all?), but smaller frets are great, in my opinion, unless you are a super-hard picker.  My Dingwall basses came with banjo frets, which I was leery about at first, but they are great, at least on bass.  According to Sheldon Dingwall, "The advantages are a more woody, less metallic tone, smoother glissandos and a faster feel."  Dingwall even offers mandolin frets as an option, and as you probably know, mandolin frets are tiny!

Archived