Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Budda Amps - Didn't want to bury this in the random thread...

Just wanted to say sending an old Budda back to Jeff Bober is surprisingly affordable and really hassle free.  I decided to send my old SD 18 to him for a once over rather than a tech in Memphis and had him throw in a mod so you can balance the clean/drive easier.   Really easy guy to talk to, and I was pretty happy with the bench fee.  

Figured it was worth a very brief review for anybody with an old Budda or just generally interested in his newer stuff.  

That’s good to know. Shipping amps makes me nervous, more so than guitars for some reason. But glad to hear that you were happy with the result. If I ever decide that I can’t live with the volume difference between the clean and drive channels on my SD30 then I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks!

On 3/24/2021 at 4:58 AM, Travis said:

That’s good to know. Shipping amps makes me nervous, more so than guitars for some reason. But glad to hear that you were happy with the result. If I ever decide that I can’t live with the volume difference between the clean and drive channels on my SD30 then I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks!

I just ship the chassis and pack the tubes real well.   Wrap everything in plenty of bubble wrap, makes sure it isn't loose in the box, and use a good box, and it goes well in my experience. 

I've shipped several Buddas to Jeff over the years. I did the same thing, shipped the chassis only.

I've owned SD 18s, 30s and a 45. I ended up selling them all except for an SD30 that I'll probably keep forever. I had it modded with a half power switch and a "brite" mod. I found the SD30 a bit on the dark side with empasis on the lower mids. The Brite mod puts the more emphasis on the upper mid. The Brite mod is on a toggle switch so I can turn it off and on.

I have the 1x12 combo cab but also have a mini headshell. I keep my SD30 in the mini headshell and use it with a variety of cabs that I have.

I used to have an SD18 combo that was retolexed in white. Very cool look for a Budda.

BuddaLR2.jpg

HPS1.jpg

13 minutes ago, HoboMan said:

I've shipped several Buddas to Jeff over the years. I did the same thing, shipped the chassis only.

I've owned SD 18s, 30s and a 45. I ended up selling them all except for an SD30 that I'll probably keep forever. I had it modded with a half power switch and a "brite" mod. I found the SD30 a bit on the dark side with empasis on the lower mids. The Brite mod puts the more emphasis on the upper mid. The Brite mod is on a toggle switch so I can turn it off and on.

I have the 1x12 combo cab but also have a mini headshell. I keep my SD30 in the mini headshell and use it with a variety of cabs that I have.

I used to have an SD18 combo that was retolexed in white. Very cool look for a Budda.

BuddaLR2.jpg

HPS1.jpg

Ooh, I love the look of the white tolex on that combo. That just works!  And that mini head looks nice, too. I’ve got the SD30 combo with a 2x12 extension cab and a full size head box, in which the SD30 currently resides. 

0EB57093-B2CD-4CA7-A80F-D7DF415B3A78.jpeg

On 3/25/2021 at 4:16 PM, sixesandsevens said:

I understand him to be a decent cat.  Is he still in Maryland?

He is or was in Severna Park, Md.  He fixed my Soldano.  I’ve seen him twice, and he is a great person.  

IMHO, the SD30 is where it is at. Perfect gigging amp, just stick a mic in front of it and go. The SD45 sounds like the finger of god, BUT it goes from "Is it on" to "OMFL that is loud". The SD45 has this ominous feel to it when it comes off of standby. I really wanted one, even after I realized it was too loud to use. 

If you love straight up vintage tone the Twin Master is loud and proud, and i'm still keeping my eye out for a Twin Master Plus Head. 

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

IMHO, the SD30 is where it is at. Perfect gigging amp, just stick a mic in front of it and go. The SD45 sounds like the finger of god, BUT it goes from "Is it on" to "OMFL that is loud". The SD45 has this ominous feel to it when it comes off of standby. I really wanted one, even after I realized it was too loud to use. 

If you love straight up vintage tone the Twin Master is loud and proud, and i'm still keeping my eye out for a Twin Master Plus Head. 

I did a quick search and found this one just outside of Milwaukee. https://www.creamcitymusic.com/used-budda-twinmaster-10-18w-boutique-tube-amp-head-1995/

then I realized this it’s probably the reissue and you’re looking out for an original late 90’s version. Of which there were apparently only a handful made. 

first thought: damn, that’s too bad

second thought: never mind. Bubs knows how to find all the cool/rare stuff. He’ll be ok. 

third thought: DIBS!!!

Archived