Hamer Fan Club Message Center

30-yr-old Greco Explorer Like Hamer Standard?

My brother and I both got Epiphone Japan Les Paul Customs, they're pretty sweet. Nitro finish, vintage appointments. He got his from Ishibashi, I got mine from a place called Gakkido. We were both very pleased with buying guitars directly from Japan.

Anyway, back on track. This one looks pretty sweet!

Buying from Japan is AWESOME! Greco, Bacchus, Edwards.. INCREDIBLE quality at a "real world" price.

I don't mean "Japanese manufacturers," I mean "sellers who are in Japan."

In any event, it looks like an HFCer snagged it.

I toyed with the "Buy It Now" button myself - that was a screamin' deal. Those guitars don't come up very often (at least not with availability for US buyers), and seem to be very well made. I see them from time to time with Jpns dealers, but rarely on eBay. Necks may be a bit smaller, but more like an 80s Special than current production stuff. Still, you got a good grab there.

Those ran from the late 70s to early 80s, and there are a number of features that set them apart from later Jpns production guitars that make them closer copies of US designs.

I'm kinda regretting not just closing my eyes and hitting "Enter"! I knew that one wouldn't be around this morning.

Having seen this thread when I got home last night (this morning), I would have snagged this one had I not been trying to exercise some restraint in the guitar buying....

Looks very cool for low dough.

Oh, I was exersizing serious restaint bigtime, I went back to it at least 6 times as well with the photo link. I can fix that nut and other problems.... I miss my old Ibanez Destroyer and rocket roll, being this Greco is same built as those, should be a great guitar....+, I have never seen one before like this.... Bound, Crowned, and Black? Oh Yeah baby :)

About ten years ago I was given a stack of old Tokai catalogs by a guy who used to work for them in the 80's.

In one (and only one) of the catalogs ("The Tokai World", Volume 7, 1983-1984) these guitars appeared.

I have NEVER seen one of these for sale!

Tokai03.jpg

Tokai04.jpg

Tokai05.jpg

I have a white Greco LP Custom from about 1990 that was my "number 1" for the last several years. Only recently has it been replaced. (It will probably end up on eBay any day now.) Anyway, they are fantastic guitars at ANY price - thankfully they're still rather affordable.

Nice grab!

came home today with a big box waiting for me in the entry way.....

extremely well packed. The guitar is everything the pics showed. nice slim/ fast neck. Case, guitar have a distinct under the bed stored away odor to it......It is very cool. needs a setup asap, will post pics someday.

came home today with a big box waiting for me in the entry way.....

extremely well packed. The guitar is everything the pics showed. nice slim/ fast neck. Case, guitar have a distinct under the bed stored away odor to it......It is very cool. needs a setup asap, will post pics someday.

Glad to hear that someone here grabbed it up and that all went well... :)

Archived