Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Folk instruments?

Bobby Marshall

I was looking at various threads here showing Mr. Shishkov's instruments and had a thought, does Shishkov know mandos?

Look at the Improv and the other hollowbodies he has hewn, just makes me think . . .folk instruments . . . with carved tops and floating bridges . . . mandolins, mandolas, mandocellos, etc., etc., etc.

So is there some folk instrument history here or is it just me having mandos on the brain?

Mandolins have their own version of cork sniffers. They also get priced like carved archtop guitars. If we are seeing the launch of Shishkov Guitars then that is where the focus needs to be. If Mike goes with high quality mandolins he will spend a lot of time away from the guitars.

One guy can only do so much. Bob Benedetto made his name with archtops and then went to only making violins. There are likely some unhappy jazz guys who wanted their own custom built Benedetto guitars.

I am with you on thinking Mike could make a mandolin that makes the great players go "Wow!"

No, Bobby. Mike is a rocker.

Mike may be a rocker, but those Creative Luthiery archtops were not rock and roll guitars.

There is a point where the art of luthiery sometimes has to be expolored. Bill Collings got into mandolins and ukuleles, but he was known for fine flattop guitars for a long time.

Archived