Hamer Fan Club Message Center

96 Standard pickup swap question

Question

I bought a 96 Standard Exp and I’m not overly happy with the bridge pup. I was thinking of changing it to a P90 style to match it with the mahogany. The neck is great. I love P90’s with heavy mahogany on Les Paul’s. Any thoughts , change in value too much ?

0773171E-2A32-4CBC-8E6C-BB925FF9FFE6.jpeg

11 answers to this question

The value hit would be negligible as long as you save the originals. 

IMO, the best setup for that guitar is the Rio Grande GT/BBQ bucker combo.  

Mahoglorious. 

• Like 4

I had a 97 hog standard just like that years ago. Tried a few different pickups in there. It loved PAF style pickups and a Duncan Custom/Custom slayed in the bridge as well. 

Agreed that it won’t change the value if you keep the originals. 

Personally, if I were going to do a humbucker sized P90, I’d have @JGravelinwind one for me. I think that P90’s in a giant mahogany bod would kill and Josh’s P90’s have a stellar reputation. I’m going to have him wind me one soon. 

Edited by Travis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the jazz is a great neck pickup. Super articulate. Personally not my favorite as I prefer a bit more warmth, but it’s solid. Covers a ton of ground. The Duncan Full Shred reminds me of a Jazz on steroids. 

If I were to have my ‘97 hog standard back again, after all the pickup swaps I did in that thing, here’s what I would go with...

A2 hot PAF in the bridge and a humbucker sized P90 in the neck. I would have @JGravelinwind me that set personally. 

• Like 3

A '96 Standard would have been stock with a JB and a 59'er, not a Jazz (assuming original spec).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve found that I “liked” the 59 in the neck but it was a bit “woofy”  for me. Josh rewound a 59 for me and put an A4 mag in it, kept all the clarity, lost the woofiness and ended up with a phenomenal neck pickup (smooth, clean and articulate but still pretty warm). If I was going to go with a humbucker, I’d have him do that for me again.  But I really like your idea of a P90 in that standard,..

• Like 1

Go and have a set P90s wound by @JGravelin. It would even increase the resale value over here.

I have P90 pickups in mine. It sounds wonderful.

Alternatively, choose @cmatthes’ recommendation. And go on from there, if you still don’t like it.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Are you sure about that?  We a known for being cheap around here.  :)

Sometimes it is better to stay quiet. B) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2