Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More kit for you. Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Thanks, Ting, for posting!

I'm in for one, too.

It should be, as of now finally, rolled out around end of March/first weeks of April (this year! 😉 )

There is a huge, mighty long and, partly, cockfighting thread about all things Quad Cortex over on this other forum

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/neural-dsp-quad-cortex.2110791/page-805

If everything turns out as planned (and hoped), this lil' thingy will be magic and act as a pleasureable gamechanger

(ssshhh!, don't mention that over at TGP. There's always someone upset about everything).

Here are some more impressive tones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVefWk4qZjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1uHfSXUys

These hairy youngsters making my head swirl with their gopro-perspectives and all that headbanging.

But, good taste and humour they seem to have as well!

Respect!

I've been watching these with great interest.  Pete and Rabea both seem a little too enthusiastic (though I don't ever count them as shills). 

I think Rhett Shull did a more objective review:

Spoiler: he wound up buying his demo, but he pointed out several issues.  Everyone seemed to prefer it over the Kemper as more authentic (not to mention being able to run multiple models simultaneously).

I'm still not sold enough to drop the coin required, be it Kemper, Helix or this new thing.  Maybe if I actually played plugged in sometime, but I haven't even turned on this Spark thingy more than a dozen times.

44 minutes ago, velorush said:

I've been watching these with great interest.  Pete and Rabea both seem a little too enthusiastic (though I don't ever count them as shills). 

I think Rhett Shull did a more objective review:

Spoiler: he wound up buying his demo, but he pointed out several issues.  Everyone seemed to prefer it over the Kemper as more authentic (not to mention being able to run multiple models simultaneously).

I'm still not sold enough to drop the coin required, be it Kemper, Helix or this new thing.  Maybe if I actually played plugged in sometime, but I haven't even turned on this Spark thingy more than a dozen times.

I with you there. If I play at all in the past 2 years it's been unplugged. Plus I absolutely hate learning curves and programming these things. I started out with a Digitech RP3 25 years ago - still unprogrammed and under my desk. Got a Line6 M13 that I never turned on - sold to a used music store. Bought a Line6 ProX HD 5 years ago - still has the protective plastic on it. I think I attempted one patch on it. I think this Quad Cortex could be improved if it had a computer interface like my ProX does so you could work on your patch with a GUI and your mouse. Or maybe it does have it. 

2 hours ago, Salami said:

This "Out of Africa" cover is better than the original. Then again, fart noises in the WalMart bathroom is better than the original. But seriously, I love that remake and have a real crush on Hannah. 

Thankfully, I'm content with playing bass through a Keeley GC-2 limiter.

But I think I'd better check in and see if they pre-ordered this wacky module.

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I with you there. If I play at all in the past 2 years it's been unplugged. Plus I absolutely hate learning curves and programming these things. I started out with a Digitech RP3 25 years ago - still unprogrammed and under my desk. Got a Line6 M13 that I never turned on - sold to a used music store. Bought a Line6 ProX HD 5 years ago - still has the protective plastic on it. I think I attempted one patch on it. I think this Quad Cortex could be improved if it had a computer interface like my ProX does so you could work on your patch with a GUI and your mouse. Or maybe it does have it. 

It's even got a touchscreen in color! Very intuitive to operate, as it looks in the videos.

That was, beneath it's sounds, what sold me immediately.

You might head over to the 16K-post-thread at TGP...

Kidding!

The QC is a Linux-based 4-core computer floor modeler and capturer of amps, pedals and things like that.

2. sentence: Very userfriendly and connectible  via wifi for backups, updates and interchange of presets.

Now on to the videos, lazy bone!

3 minutes ago, donner said:

Now on to the videos, lazy bone!

My laziness extends far beyond that, lol.  It does sound like a really cool evolution in modeling, but what I chase tonewise doesn't require very much stuff.  Really one good channel that cleans up with the volume knob on the guitar, a boost, and some light verb and delay is where I am these days. 

However, I am all for tech like this coming out and inspiring people to make new noises with a guitar.  It's fascinating to see how powerful yet streamlined it's all getting.

3 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

It does sound like a really cool evolution in modeling, but what I chase tonewise doesn't require very much stuff.  Really one good channel that cleans up with the volume knob on the guitar, a boost, and some light verb and delay is where I am these days. 

It should better be able to deliver that, too. At least, that's what i hope about that slick smart box.

But: The QC has not arrived in the real world, yet. So nobody really knows, except some beta-testers and NDSP themselves.

March/April seems to be the best guess for the release, momentarily. We'll see then, how it handles my Hamers 😉

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

what I chase tonewise doesn't require very much stuff.  Really one good channel that cleans up with the volume knob on the guitar, a boost, and some light verb and delay is where I am these days. 

Same. MAYBE a second channel, if anything else...

I think what they've done is impressive.  They've packed a ton of processing, a good UI (looks to me like a morph of Helix and Headrush), and made it compact.  One thing I have noticed is none of the YouTube guys I've seen have it on the floor, so it's unclear if the buttons are too close together or not.   To me, once you kind of jump into one modeler, you can probably find your way around on most of them.  

I find Pete Thorn good with being able to show how to use and go through products, point out what they're good at, and being objective.  I also like that he shows you practical applications of the product.  

Archived