Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: Starter guitar(s) - $350ish


Recommended Posts

Posted

Since the lockdown, I've been approached by no less than 4 esteemed gentlemen searching for guitars to satisfy their need for mental and manual stimulation in lieu of more normal activities for said gentlemen.  In other words, they are looking for more creative ways to spend time.  My new neighbor across the alley has been borrowing my guitars in succession. He's a youngish guy that knows some songs, mostly acoustic, and is looking to branch out. He also attended my last Frozen Jam a year ago and got into some loud Freebird action with the guys, which whet his whistle.  I've also got a bandmate who owns a couple of my castoff Hamers who has a similar neighbor.

They're both on a budget, and so far both seem to favor Gretsch style or Tele style or P90s.

I just thought I'd check here and see if anyone has anything sitting in their closet.  Decent and cheap; I mean inexpensive.

I've got a line on a couple of things locally, but so far, neither has bitten.  Something shiny or sparkly, perhaps?

Also, I need them to buy, as this looking at craigslist every day has been fueling my GAS.  I've found some deals:  a SuperSnark and a HoneyTone for $20?  Yes please. A Hofner violin bass for $300?  yes, please.  A Gator GoPro Double Ultimate guitar gig bag which also happens to fit the Hofner, for $80?  Yes please........you see what I mean.

Posted

I just bought a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster and love it [straight outta the box]! It's my #1 player while my Hamer Studio is being lacquered. It's cost me £339 which is around $475 US but you guys get stuff cheaper than us over the pond and your $'s match our £'s when it comes to gear so I bet you can get it for $350. I'd wager a higher-end Squier HSS Strat would be a good purchase...

Posted

I have a USA Peavey Firenza with p90s that I have owned twice that is excess. It is actually a great guitar that sounds fabulous and plays very, very well. It is currently my only “pure” p90 guitar as my Newport currently has HB sized 90s in there that do the trick for me. It is just hard to pick it up when I have a Hamer or Shishkov in reach....unless I want that pure p90 tone.

Anyway, if that seems like something you’d like, PM me. I’d sell it for $325 plus actual shipping costs. Even though it is a quality USA made guitar, they have terrible resale value....well, because Peavey.

All hog body, barely flamed maple neck, rosewood board, 25” scale, 2 fantastic KMS Old P90s, all Gotoh hardware. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I have a USA Peavey Firenza with p90s that I have owned twice that is excess. It is actually a great guitar that sounds fabulous and plays very, very well. It is currently my only “pure” p90 guitar as my Newport currently has HB sized 90s in there that do the trick for me. It is just hard to pick it up when I have a Hamer or Shishkov in reach....unless I want that pure p90 tone.

Anyway, if that seems like something you’d like, PM me. I’d sell it for $325 plus actual shipping costs. Even though it is a quality USA made guitar, they have terrible resale value....well, because Peavey.

All hog body, barely flamed maple neck, rosewood board, 25” scale, 2 fantastic KMS Old P90s, all Gotoh hardware. 

Hmmm, that might work. Shoot me some pics.

 

Posted

I have a MIJ Ibanez RS-130 with the OHSC. These were only made in 1984 (I guess everyone wanted the RS-135 with the trem); the RS-130 had a brass hardtail bridge). Nice chunky neck with a 25.5 scale and what I think is a 9.5 radius. Ibanez Super 5 single coil pickups and the old antennae strap buttons. These are superb guitars in both tone and build quality. $400 plus actual shipping cost.

IMGP5687 (2).JPG

IMGP5691 (2).JPG

IMGP5688 (2).JPG

IMGP5695 (2).JPG

IMGP5718 (2).JPG

IMGP5702 (2).JPG

Posted
2 hours ago, mudshark said:

I have a MIJ Ibanez RS-130 with the OHSC. These were only made in 1984 (I guess everyone wanted the RS-135 with the trem); the RS-130 had a brass hardtail bridge). Nice chunky neck with a 25.5 scale and what I think is a 9.5 radius. Ibanez Super 5 single coil pickups and the old antennae strap buttons. These are superb guitars in both tone and build quality. $400 plus actual shipping cost.

IMGP5687 (2).JPG

IMGP5691 (2).JPG

IMGP5688 (2).JPG

IMGP5695 (2).JPG

IMGP5718 (2).JPG

IMGP5702 (2).JPG

That is cool!

Posted

I had an Ibanez RG440 Roadstar 2in the mid 80s and that was truly a fabulous guitar. I LOVE the v shaped strap buttons. No locking straps needed with those.

Posted

I had a 

On 3/12/2021 at 8:43 AM, Jakeboy said:

I have a USA Peavey Firenza with p90s that I have owned twice that is excess. It is actually a great guitar that sounds fabulous and plays very, very well. It is currently my only “pure” p90 guitar as my Newport currently has HB sized 90s in there that do the trick for me. It is just hard to pick it up when I have a Hamer or Shishkov in reach....unless I want that pure p90 tone.

Anyway, if that seems like something you’d like, PM me. I’d sell it for $325 plus actual shipping costs. Even though it is a quality USA made guitar, they have terrible resale value....well, because Peavey.

All hog body, barely flamed maple neck, rosewood board, 25” scale, 2 fantastic KMS Old P90s, all Gotoh hardware. 

I had a peavey firenza for a while, my son has it now. Great guitar build side by side with the 1st EVH guitars. Kinda resemble one. Can't go wrong at that price! The P90's have a very classic sound to them!

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

What did they end up getting?

Posted

Nothing, of course.  You can lead a horse to water....
The quest continues.

Perhaps I should make future gatherings BYOG.

Posted
18 hours ago, BruceM said:

Nothing, of course.  You can lead a horse to water....
The quest continues.

Perhaps I should make future gatherings BYOG.

Why would anyone bring a jug of tap water to visit the oasis? lol. j/s

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...