Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I realize this is not for everyone, but if you are so inclined.......Would be out of print, but for an unusual (for Mosaic) extension.

Mosaic has a rather unique way of presenting "complete" releases of artists for select periods or labels. They are not "cheap" and not for those that might want a select slice of an artist's recordings. These are outside the "I wanna hear him with Brubeck" realm.

A saving grace for the Mosaic releases is that they are near instant collectors' items. Once they have exhausted their limited run, they typically go for premium prices on resale, many times for 3 or more times the original price.

I like their accompanying write ups too.....One small excerpt....

Paul Desmond was an artist who stood alone on the alto saxophone. His tone was light, but full. His improvisations were complex but always lyrical and direct. If Johnny Hodges was the seducer on alto, Desmond was the cool intellect always willing to engage all of your senses.

I also got a kick from the anecdote re Audrey Hepburn.

Anyway, if anyone else is a fan, maybe worth considering while available.....

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/paul-desmond-the-complete-1975-toronto-recording/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually did buy it. My brother was a music major at Florida State, mostly alto sax but sometimes baritone. A big Desmond fan, so this'll be a birthday present for him.

Wishful thinking and a real long shot, but if anyone runs into the 1994 10 CD Mosaic set of the Maynard Ferguson Roulette recordings at a "reasonable price", let me know. I whiffed at the original $159 price. The typical asking price in recent years has been around $699. The 14 LP version is even more......Cannot bring myself to do that.......

BTW, for anyone that cares, of the 275 or so projects they have released only a small percentage are tied to guitarists as leaders. But they are worth checking out if you run into them. T Bone, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Django, Johnny Smith, Tal (Hung) Far Low 🤐....And a few lesser known names. All out of print, but often available at lending libraries.

FWIW, last I chatted with Michael Cuscuna, I suggested they consider a Lenny Breau project. He seemed intrigued, but I suspect his work is too scattered to try to collect it and sell enough copies to cover the costs. But it would be great if he got the recognition he deserved.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, django49 said:

BTW, for anyone that cares, of the 275 or so projects they have released only a small percentage are tied to guitarists as leaders. But they are worth checking out if you run into them. T Bone, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Django, Johnny Smith, Tal (Hung) Far Low 🤐....And a few lesser known names. All out of print, but often available at lending libraries.

FWIW, last I chatted with Michael Cuscuna, I suggested they consider a Lenny Breau project. He seemed intrigued, but I suspect his work is too scattered to try to collect it and sell enough copies to cover the costs. But it would be great if he got the recognition he deserved.

Some very impressive stretches, and a great crescendo from 1:39-1:52.  What a monster talent!

• 1 month later...

Late breaking added comment or two, after spending some time with the several hours of the Desmond recordings. The recordings feature bass, drums, guitar and alto sax. With trombone replacing guitar on a handful of tracks. So that alone is a differentiation from the classic recordings that featured Dave Brubeck on piano. I really do like the tasteful contributions of Ed Bickert on guitar. Looking at photos, it appears he played at least some of them on a Tele.

I guess I should not be surprised by the latter. A guy I knew in LA was famously known for the use of a Tele. One night he invited me to a club in LA where he was leading a band doing jazz/blues and set down his archtop in favor of a Tele to demo how he could cop "that tone: on it. Yes, he WAS trying to sell it to me.....😉

Anyway, I especially like the final track, where Bickert takes on the classic Brubeck 5/4 rhythm on "Take Five." Immediately recognizable, but a great platform for Desmond to improvise in new and impressive directions. A great variation on his original.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if it appeals to you, I highly recommend the set.

BTW, I finally DID manage to score that other 10 CD Mosaic set I was looking for. That was a long quest.....

• Like 3

I'm a "Jazzer" since way back in the 60's and I collect all the original BLUE NOTE recordings and well as others......................many of those Mosaics issue turned up at a Half Price Books here in Minnesota. I got a call from the store manager and I bought them all sight unseen. Desmond has long been a favorite, love PURE DESMOND with Ed BIckert. Here is some of his finest playing. 

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I'm a "Jazzer" since way back in the 60's and I collect all the original BLUE NOTE recordings and well as others......................many of those Mosaics issue turned up at a Half Price Books here in Minnesota. I got a call from the store manager and I bought them all sight unseen. Desmond has long been a favorite, love PURE DESMOND with Ed BIckert. Here is some of his finest playing. 

Good catch! I suspect you will not regret any of them.

ETA.....There is also a Mosaic 4 disc set of his recordings with Jim Hall.

Edited by django49
  • Like 1

On my baby-version of your big-boy advice, I picked up this Paul Desmond box set off Amazon for about $12.50 USD:  I like it!  I had never really listened to Paul Desmond before, and this collection is worth it.  Desmond's lyricism and sense of melody remind me of my favourite saxophonist:  Stan Getz.  I might work myself up to going all the way with your advice... especially since I grew up in Toronto!

81BCTVNY7jL._AC_SX385_.jpg

• Like 1