Hamer Fan Club Message Center

ON HOLDPre-Peavey Budda SuperDrive 18 head in a newer Sourmash cab

I recently acquired this and frankly love it…killer cleans, incredible OD, a perfect FX loop, a very good MV, marshallesque/Vox tones….why amI selling? I have an opportunity at a Winfield Cyclone in a  cool color and I miss my TopHat Supreme Sixteen. If this sells I can grab the Winnie.

I must say this Budda is a rocker, though.  2 JJ el84s, 3 JJ 12ax7s, and an EHX 5u4gb rectifier.

ON HOLD PENDING PAYMENT
Brite mod added . Original capacitor included as is an RCA 5u4gb rectifier. 

Pics below. Only issue is the dude who ordered the Sourmash head didn’t measure correctly and mis-drilled the holes to attach the chassis . Bigger washers will hide the error but they don’t bother me as this is a rock and roll amp.

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

Edited by Jakeboy
  • Like 3

Another huge shoutout for the Budda SuperDrive series. LOVE my SD30 and if the master volume wasn’t so good I would seriously consider grabbing an SD18 as a lower watt option. But, don’t let that make you think the SD18 can’t get LOUD. It can and will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Travis said:

But, don’t let that make you think the SD18 can’t get LOUD. It can and will. 

Oh, yes it will.  I have a combo, and I don't think I've had the master above about 3.5-4.  It's been the amp that has worked with everything I've thrown at it w/little adjustment.  Can't praise these enough.

• Like 3

Bumpage for a great amp that I’ll be thrilled to keep if no one wants it.  Great cleans and great grind, especially low on the gain channel. Very classic rock. Yet plenty of gain on tap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Bumpage for a great amp that I’ll be thrilled to keep if no one wants it.  Great cleans and great grind, especially low on the gain channel. Very classic rock. Yet plenty of gain on tap.

Don't be fuk'n lazy, any pics? 🤣

• Haha 2

:)

5 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

One thing you haven't mentioned yet (other than not being made by Peavey), is that your Budda is a handwired Jeff Bober-era, first version SuperDrive 18 with no PCBs,  correct?  If it is, this is the one to have!  GLWTS! :)

Edited by crunchee

I should mention that this head is extremely light. Transformers are normal sized so it must be the head cab. It is  smaller than the “normal” SuperDrive cab and lightweight. This is a LOUD 18 watts as stated above with a great MV. A rocker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I should mention that this head is extremely light. Transformers are normal sized so it must be the head cab. It is  smaller than the “normal” SuperDrive cab and lightweight. This is a LOUD 18 watts as stated above with a great MV. A rocker.

Jeff used aluminum chassis on these amps. That also helps contribute to the lightweight. 

These are kiiler amps. Love the small headshell.

BTW, there is a pretty simple mod for these that make them brighter, more raw & aggressive and believe it or not, louder. I had it done to my SD30 and it's killer. I can post a link to the mod if anyone is interested.

Edited by HoboMan
  • Like 1

I’ll also add a vintage RCA 5u4gb rectifier gratis as I have a bunch of these just taking up space. 
I’ll list it on TGP or Reverb tomorrow at a slightly higher price.

Lots of people say these are dark but I don’t hear that and I am a lover of bright amps. I think speakers make a huge impact on perceived amp brightness.  I did try a 12ay7 in v1 and that brought overall volume and gain down a hair but it still had gobs of gain on tap. Very versatile amp for sure.

3 hours ago, HoboMan said:

Jeff used aluminum chassis on these amps. That also helps contribute to the lightweight. 

These are kiiler amps. Love the small headshell.

BTW, there is a pretty simple mod for these that make them brighter, more raw & aggressive and believe it or not, louder. I had it done to my SD30 and it's killer. I can post a link to the mod if anyone is interested.

Interested in hearing about this mod…

If by any chance, someone is on the fence about this amp because of the headshell not being OEM, I might know of someone who has an extra Budda headshell sitting around. 

Meaning: buy this amp! (and then give me a call.  😉)

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I’ll also add a vintage RCA 5u4gb rectifier gratis as I have a bunch of these just taking up space. 

I asked Brent Jesse for a 5u4g rectifier recommendation to replace the JJ that came stock with Freznel power amp. His choice “there is no other” was RCA. I’m of the opinion he was right! 
Also, the Weber Copper Cap, even with the requisite sag programmed in, is another solid choice. Typical SS snap and quiet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Yes please 😀

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Interested in hearing about this mod…

6 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Lots of people say these are dark but I don’t hear that and I am a lover of bright amps. I think speakers make a huge impact on perceived amp brightness.  I did try a 12ay7 in v1 and that brought overall volume and gain down a hair but it still had gobs of gain on tap. Very versatile amp for sure.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I started a new one about the Brite mod. Many people think the Budda Superdrives can be too dark. This completely solves that issue. See thread hear: 

https://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/97608-brite-mod-for-budda-superdrive/

Edited by HoboMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jakeboy changed the title to Pre-Peavey Budda SuperDrive 18 head in a newer Sourmash cab…any interest?

Ok, I bought the cap to do the mod @HoboMan recommends. I’ll likely post this on TGP so I grab a Winnie. 
If it doesn’t sell quick I’ll throw that new cap in and buy a new correct headshell from @Travis and rock all sorts of hell with this amp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Ok, I bought the cap to do the mod @HoboMan recommends. I’ll likely post this on TGP so I grab a Winnie. 
If it doesn’t sell quick I’ll throw that new cap in and buy a new correct headshell from @Travis and rock all sorts of hell with this amp.

Let me know if you want to sell your small headshell. I might be interested.

6 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I know there's been a couple of other TGP members who have done the mod and been very happy with it.

Will do.  Someone said to replace the Phase Inverter with a 12at7 a la old BF Fenders to add brightness as well. Since I have one handy and it’s raining so I cannot mow today, this may be a good day to try it.

• Like 1