Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pawn Stars Guitars

Those guys are such assholes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Don't get me started. I'm sure there's one of my rambling screeds about these jerkoffs around here in a thread somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

"I've got a buddy that knows everything there is to know about assholes...lemme get him down here to check it out and tell us what it's worth."

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

Oh. I didn't know, not familiar with the show. I guess just try to appreciate the guitars. 

Edited by Ranger

3 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Oh. I didn't know, not familiar with the show. I guess just try to appreciate the guitars. 

Oh, we appreciate the guitars. It's the shop owners and their ignorance-masked-as-arrogance that we find displeasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biz Prof said:

Oh, we appreciate the guitars. It's the shop owners and their ignorance-masked-as-arrogance that we find displeasing.

It's much, much worse than that.  

They're scam artists.  Borderline illegal.  

Or at least it should be.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, singlehum said:

And all those transactions are staged and pre-arranged. 

Yes, to drive up the price for when the item actually does get sold.  

• Like 1

I thought the deal was the guitars actually belonged to the "expert" music store owner (edit: i.e., inventory), so he was evaluating his own guitars.  Hard to remember it's been so long since I quit that one.

Edited by velorush
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, singlehum said:

And all those transactions are staged and pre-arranged. 

Well yes of course. 

Every reality show, car show, survivor show, every archeology show, cooking show, History Channel show, every show that says they finally discovered the long lost treasure, sunken treasure, secret crypt of So and So and more, are staged, scripted and complete Bullshit/Cow Fodder/Horseshit on Toast.

Ahh...that felt good to vent.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, velorush said:

I thought the deal was the guitars actually belonged to the "expert" music store owner (edit: i.e., inventory), so he was evaluating his own guitars.  Hard to remember it's been so long since I quit that one.

You see?   Now you got me started. 
In the case of the white Les Paul Custom, it was the expert’s guitar but he couldn’t get any action on it.  The pawn shop or the Pawn Shop producers hire the actor to “try and sell it” on the show.

The pawn shop guys bring in the expert (whose guitar it is) to ascertain its value.  Next thing you know it’s on their wall for sale at this elevated price which the expert set for himself.

So he couldn’t sell it in his own shop at X, but now it’s for sale at X in the TV famous pawn shop.

Manufactured, elevated prices based on fictional interactions between colluding characters.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Whew! Glad I saw this thread. I was taking my 1965 SG Special, and my 1961 J-45 to a pawnshop tomorrow to try and sell them. So, y'all are saying there's a better way to sell vintage guitars than a pawnshop? I guess I'll head down to Guitar Center and see what I can get for them there... Should I put new strings on them first?

• Haha 3