-
Posts
5,812 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
18
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by Willie G. Moseley
-
I stumbled across this while doing research for a book on a famous shopping center, of all things. I'd almost completely forgotten about it. It dates from March 1989 in the Montgomery Advertiser. The Harmony guitar that's missing the logo turned out to be a short-lived Stratotone variant called the Roy Smeck model; it dates from 1961. This Missus had just gotten pregnant back then, and that same month I went to the first Atlanta guitar show (at the Omni) figuring my collecting jones was going to be tapering down. But picked up a small tabloid called National Music Trader, and I sent them an article I composed about the Roy Smeck. That tabloid turned into Vintage Guitar Magazine, and the band imploded instead my collecting adventure Almost 37 years later it's interesting to note what was notable about collecting evolved in the ensuing decades. I think most of what I said herein still holds up. Comments?
-
- 4
-
-
Age 84. A giant who was not only a musical influence, but validated the notion that someone's color should be irrelevant when it comes to music. And he first took that step in an integrated band in the early '60s, during the glory days of the original Civil Rights Movement. But his proprietary licks and tone were unforgettable. Someone else opined that he could hit one note and you'd know who it was. First guitar lick I ever learned was that immortal twangy intro to "Hip Hug-Her"
- 18 replies
-
- 16
-
-
-
"If I knew then what I know now...."
Willie G. Moseley replied to Willie G. Moseley's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Upload; I've tried several times with "edit". After "insert" the jpeg shows up under the original text but when I hit "edit topic" it doesn't come through -
"If I knew then what I know now...."
Willie G. Moseley replied to Willie G. Moseley's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
How come I can't get the jpeg of the 1989 newspaper story to come up on here? -
"If I knew then what I know now...."
Willie G. Moseley posted a topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I stumbled across this while doing research for a book on a famous shopping center, of all things. I'd almost completely forgotten about it. It dates from March 1989 in the Montgomery Advertiser. The Harmony guitar that's missing the logo turned out to be a short-lived Stratotone variant called the Roy Smeck model; it dates from 1961. This Missus had just gotten pregnant back then, and that same month I went to the first Atlanta guitar show (at the Omni) figuring my collecting jones was going to be tapering down. But picked up a small tabloid called National Music Trader, and I sent them an article I composed about the Roy Smeck. That tabloid turned into Vintage Guitar Magazine, and the band imploded instead my collecting adventure Almost 37 years later it's interesting to note what was notable about collecting evolved in the ensuing decades. I think most of what I said herein still holds up. Comments? -
Robin savoy vs 335 and that ilk?
Willie G. Moseley replied to stedge's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Sonically they're going to be pretty different because of the bodies' differences in construction. 335 = laminated front and back with separate side piece, Savoy = hogged out block with cap. I bought my first Savoy because of the ergonomics. For a thinline-shaped guitar, it was incredibly comfortable. When I sold my collection (piece-meal over several years) my Savoy was the only Robin I kept. -
At least one of the attendees brought in several instruments on what appeared to be a vintage red Radio Flyer wagon. I've seen such practical utilitarian efforts at other shows, and I always point to the rig and yell "How much for just the wagon?" For the record, IMO it was in Very Good Plus condition....
- 20 replies
-
- 4
-
-
- amigo guitar show
- guitar show
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Robin guitar book---Mesquite premier
Willie G. Moseley replied to Willie G. Moseley's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Now the reviews are starting to come in, and the first one from Houston is positive, and I don't think it has a paywall (yet) so try this link: https://www.houstonpress.com/music/robin-guitars-immortalized-in-new-book/ -
Robin guitar book---Mesquite premier
Willie G. Moseley posted a topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I was really gratified to have been able to schmooze in person at the Mesquite show with numerous folks who participate in this forum. The reception to THUNDER OUT OF TEXAS: The Illustrated History of Robin Guitars (including sales) was also gratifying. I did bring some copies home, and if anyone wants a signed edition, please PM me or email me at willie@vintageguitar.com. Thanks in advance. Here's Ram Tuli of Phoenix, co-author of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide, along with some mystery tramp with a bad back who's three quarters of a century old. -
One of the players who utilized a six-string contrabass in an innovative manner, and IMO exploring sonic horizons was one of the reasons such an instrument was invented. His work on a live album from Japan with Steve Khan's band Eyewitness was jaw-dropping.
-
-
My perception at that '05 Shreveport show was that his performance was self-restrained, maybe because it was an all-star salute to James Burton, and there may have been time factors for each set. That said, he came back on the finale to perform "Working Man Blues" with Burton, Brad Paisley, and Steve Wariner. Unforgettable; burned into my brain like a brand. A couple of Johnson guest tunes that are impressive in my opinion but some unknown are "Red Clay" on Doyle Dykes' Bridging the Gap and "Lone Star" on Stu Hamm's The Urge. And somewhere around here I think I've still got an '99 ACL audio dub from a stereo VHS that opens with "Cliffs of Dover" and includes "Love or Confusion". Also impressive
-
Pointing out that the Gibson ES-345TDC Marty McFly played in Back To The Future is chronologically incorrect is part of the legend and whimsy of the film. When McFly went ape-**** at the end of "Johnny B. Goode", for a split-second you just knew everybody was gonna stop and stare, and that's exactly how it went down. For me,it was an all-time favorite movie yock. Now, the guitar mfr. is seeking to find the exact guitar thar was used in that scene. I'm gonna go back and watch this promo video again, because Got-Taw-Mitey, Lea Thompson looks better than ever.
-
Shipping tales - URGENT UPDATE!!!
Willie G. Moseley replied to santellavision's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
OKay, my "shipping tale" is an "inexpensive sequel" to a USPS episode from a number of years ago where someone sliced into a manila envelope and stole the vintage guitar catalogs therein. I was sending them to Vintaxe in St. Louis so they could add the pages ot their website (I've been using it for research for at least a couple of decades. Recently I mailed a small package containing some memorabilia--celebrity picks, key chains, etc. to a friend in CA. Same tyep of event---envelope precisely sliced open and contents removed. Dollar-wise, not particularly valuable but a gesture of appreciation for our friendship based on and around guitars. And I don't collect anymore, but the recent incident underlines in a small way why, at times, I don't miss the collecting phenomenon. But those times aren't permanent. -
Pat Travers: Swing!: New album of Big Band music from a blues/rock guitarist (!) Prepping for an interview with Travers King Crimson: Meltdown--Live in Mexico: Three CDs (over 3 1/2 hrs. of music) + a Blu-Ray by the latest incarnation of the band, which features three drummers (! again). Prepping for an interview with guitarist Jakko Jaksyzk, who recently garnered a PRS SE signature model with the "Schzoid Man" face on the body.
-
send your e-mail address to me at my e-mail address (willie@vintageguitar.com) and I'll send a jpeg image of the newspaper column I wrote about the Infinity Science Center.
-
The 25 Greatest Wah Solos of All Time
Willie G. Moseley replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I don't feel like going back to the article but was Trower on there at all? I'd go w/ "Into Money"from him... Then there was "Sex Machine" by Sly & The Famly Stone, which was blatantly erotic. -
The 25 Greatest Wah Solos of All Time
Willie G. Moseley replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I found this link to a different list: http://www.guitarworld.com/high-strung-25-all-time-weirdest-guitarists?page=0,0 Of the ones on there that I've actually heard, I tend to agree with their placement thereon -
I haven't been to the Orlando show but have known the promoter for about two decades. Morty has his act together, unlike some other opportunistic would-be guitar show promoters who've come and gone....if he didn't, he wouldn't still be doin''em. Hopefully I can make it down there one of these days.
-
Looks like larvae of some kind. Never seen or heard of such. Homer: "Where ya goin'?" Jethro: "Thought I'd go a-fishin'." Homer: "Have ya got worms?" Jethro:"Well,yeah, but I'm goin' anyway..." We presently got our own problems at my home---yellow jackets that nested inside a gap near the front door and went goodness knows how far indoors. A couple will creep out each day into my man cave/office next to the entrance. Cold weather's 'sposed to get to 'em and kibosh the queen. Have tried more than one spray but they're apparently still around.
-
Zep Loses 1st Round of Lawsuit Over "Stairway"
Willie G. Moseley replied to diablo175's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Plagiarism can be, er, subliminal. Been there done that w/ a song I wrote, Didn't even realize part of it was a ripoff of a Dire Straits song (and in the same ****in' key!) until some non-musician listener pointed it out to me. That's not to excuse any alleged plagiarism of the songs mentioned previously