-
Posts
2,066 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
17
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by currypowder
-
I've had a love relationship with teles for about 30 years now. There were a few years that I didn't have one, but those days are over. There are 2 very different tele's in the stable right now. First is a Revelator '63 relic clone. I realize that there are a couple of people on the board who were wronged by Eric, and are rightfully pi$$ed. But my experience with him has been fine, although he is very very slow. I've owned this guitar as long as any other, and it is my absolute #1, I'd get rid of every other guitar before this one. Next is a recent edition, an ESP Ronnie Wood Custom Shop. This is much more refined than the Revelator, and with the neck HB, it's a bit more versatile. It plays as well as any other guitar I've ever owned. I would prefer the frets to be a touch higher, but I'm getting used to them.
-
I bought this here last year in anticipation of using it, but it never materialized. Now it just sits, so I think it's best to offer it up again. SWR California Blonde acoustic combo amp. Excellent condition and absolutely incredible sounding. It has two channels (one can be used for vocals if you're into the solo or two-man acoustic gig thing), effects loops, nice on-board reverb, lots of bells, whistles, etc. SOLD Pending Payment
-
the relic thing getting sorta silly
currypowder replied to Citrus's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I'm one of those guys that digs relics. I do like the way they look, but more so like how the ones I've kept play and sound. My Revelator '61 T is simply the best tele I've ever played or owned. That I think Eric does supurb relicing/aging is secondary to it's tone. It also has a more modern neck profile which makes it much more comfortable for my playing style. The strat I just picked up, a '68 heavy relic looks to be very similar to DavidE's with a rosewood fretboard (I'm assuming his is a '69 heavy relic). It's tone, to me, is the defining 60's strat. The 69 custom pickups are perfect and with the more modern neck profile (9.5 radius and 6105 frets) it plays wonderfully. I also owned a Gibson R8 that had been relic'd by RS. The only reason I sold it was that the neck was just a little too big for me. -
The story on the guitar (I bought it from Japan) is that a previous owner had put a sticker on it and used some pink or red paint for some reason, probably an 80's thing. Instead of using care to remove the atrocities, some sort of scraper was used, thus the scratches. Some paint was left behind, and that's what you're seeing. Before I received it, my intention was to maybe try to clean it up and buff out some of the scratches, possibly even a top refin. But once I replaced the 15 year old strings and adjusted the bridge, it played and sounded so good that I decided to just leave it as is. It's got a great beater vibe to it and I'm not at all afraid of further damage.
-
I'll try to take some better pics soon, but I've been on kind of a black guitar kick lately, can't seem to get enough. 82 Greco EX800HB - I recently bought a 1978 version of the same guitar in MUCH better shape than this beater. But there is something special about this one: 08 Gretsch Billy Bo - Yeah, I know. But I love Gretsches, TV Jones Powertrons and odd shapes. It rocks like no other: I'll try to get pics up of my Black B&C Sunburst and the 78 Greco soon.
-
HEY! I resemble that remark.
-
I can confirm that the bass sounded great from the audience. Although I didn't stay too long, I was at the show and the band sounded great. Quimby's a top notch bassist!
-
CANCELLED----2008 HFC Fall Midwest Jam.
currypowder replied to bruce919's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Right now it looks like I will be able to come. Only a short 3.5 hour drive up from Louisville. -
Hotwired is definitely worth seeing if you happen to be in the Phoenix area. I checked them out, but could only stay for the first set. Good diverse setlist played well. I could certainly see the bass player kicking loose later in the set.
-
If BATMAN owned a guitar ....... this would be it!
currypowder replied to a topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
That's the guitar that inspired me to jump on kenjones 79 black Sunburst when he listed it. -
I didn't buy the Artist. I did see it earlier this week after someone pointed out the auction. It was still there on Tuesday late afternoon, and the auction was ended by the time I got home. I don't know if someone here grabbed it or just someone walking through the store. I honestly think the Vanguard played and felt a little better than the Artist. The neck on the Vanguard feels a little chunkier to me.
-
I was taking a quick walkthrough the Guitar Emporium (http://www.guitar-emporium.com/ordering.html) and noticed that they have a '99 Silver Sparkle Vanguard on the wall priced at $750. Has P90's and a regualr stoptail bridge. I'm not sure if the pickups are original (and they probably won't know either). I played it for a few minutes and, not surprisingly, it played wonderfully. Nice chunky neck. I don't keep up with the value of these, so I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. What I do know is that they don't deal in many Hamers and they are usually willing to deal on them. They just got it, so it's not listed on the website yet.
-
WANT ONE!
currypowder replied to kizanski's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Yea...Sure looks like he has a gold one in the photos on the record cover. I have a copy of their first album released in Great Britain, and that guitar has a pickguard just like on the tribute model. The album cover in the picture is their 2nd GB release, "Gonna Ball". Not sure why the pickguard is different in that pic other than he swapped it out for some reason. I would seriously like to own one of these, but I'm pretty sure the price is well into 5 figures and there's just no way I could ever justify that. -
need a good reliable online tab source
currypowder replied to murkat's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
ultimate-guitar.com is OK. Since the tabs are user created, they can be a little inconsistent. I've found that I can usually find a reasonably correct tab for most of the songs that will at least get me in the vicinity, then can figure out or fill in the errors or missing pieces. -
iPod owners: hit shuffle, post the first 10 songs
currypowder replied to MCChris's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Detroit Rock City (Live) - Kiss Have Love Will Travel - The Sonics Baby Watch Your Back - Nellie McKay Zero - Smashing Pumpkins Shewango Way - Peter Frammpton Season of the Witch - Donavan Live With Me - Rolling Stones Let Them All Talk - Elvis Costello I'm in Love With a Girl - Big Star Mother Says - Joe Walsh -
Wow! The copy market is apparently taking off!
currypowder replied to cmatthes's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Now here's an LS-380 that (at least initially) is priced about right. The seller is well known over at the Tokai forum and I think he's well regarded. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 differences between the LS-380 and the LS-320; the pickups on the 380 are Rolph's instead of SD Seth Lovers and there is no fret edge binding on the 380. For the life of me I can't understand why Tokai would stop putting freedge binding on a guitar that is supposed to be historically accurate. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1 -
Wow! The copy market is apparently taking off!
currypowder replied to cmatthes's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Not trying to be a dick, but.... I could ship one, but I won't. I could ship one, but the guitar's fate would be the same - not delivered. Not a good situation for anybody. They are copies, and would be dealt with as copies by U.S. customs. How they know these things boggles my mind I mean, wouldn't that be a decent job for working musician who hasn't quite made the big time yet so they need a day job? "U.S. Customs Musical Instrument Inspector." The one I saw Saturday is bound for England. Repeat customer. He also has a Tokai 335 copy (new). I've purchased several guitars from Japan, some new, some used without incident. The 3 Tokais that I have now all came from US sellers, but I've not heard of anyone not receiving a guitar that was shipped from Japan because they were denied at customs. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, just that I haven't heard of it. I wonder how often it happens. -
Wow! The copy market is apparently taking off!
currypowder replied to cmatthes's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
While I think that particular auction is WAY overpriced, the top end Tokai's are as good as it gets. I would put my 2003 LS-320 (which was the top model at that time) up against any Gibson R9. Yeah, it was pricey, but it was less than half of what a simlar R9 (with Brazillain Rosewood Fretboad) would have cost. -
Hold or Sell Vintage Guitar?
currypowder replied to JohnnyThunders's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I'm going to get on my soap box here. It's a little long, and not terribly interesting. So feel free to skip it. It's all just my opinion. I've never believed that any collectibles are good invetments (guitars, art, beanie babies, whatever). Instead, I characterize it as pure speculation. There is no inherent economic value to most collectibles. Sure, a few pieces may go way up in value for some reason, and some pieces may have historical value, which helps their market value. But in the end, they are just things. When someone buys a guitar strictly for investment purposes, he (or she, let's not be sexist here) is making a prediction that sometime in the future, there will be someone elst that will (for whatever reason) place a greater value on it and be able to pay that value. To me, to be an investment there needs to be some economic reason that income will be generated and/or the value will go up. When you invest in a business or a piece of a business (stock), you (hopefully) have good reason to believe that business will generate profits, pay dividends and go up in value (due to increases in profits). When you invest in a bond, you have good reason to beleive that you will get paid interest and get your money back at some point int he future. There is also an element of speculation in real investing, and it's easy to get caught up in it. But underneath it all there needs to be real economic value. This is a real long winded way to say that guitars are lousy investments. Yes, there are specific examples of guitars that have appreciated greatly, and it's easy to see looking backwards in time. But I guarantee you that for every example of a guitar that has wildly appreciated, I can find multiple examples of businesses and stocks that appreciated even more due to real economic growth. I bet I can also find multiple examples of guitars that depreciated greatly and are basically worthless. I would be willing to bet that if I could track the value of every guitar ever made from the point of purchase to now, that, on average, the value went down. But if you look at the value of every stock ever issued publically to now, on average, the value went up. I buy and "collect" guitars (if you can call 8-10 guitars a real collection) because I like them and like to play them. They are worth a lot to me personally, but not as an investment. As a possession, nothing more. -
A friend just sent me this. Very nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KWY6xlqz-A...ted&search=
-
Happy Birthday, David. 43 is a good age.
-
Ernie's Summer Sale
currypowder replied to santellavision's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I have an Edwards Jimmy Page model and just put in an order for a new Edwards Goldtop w/ P90's. These Edwards LP copies are great guitars. I don't have a lot of experience with Gibsons. However, it would not surprise me to find that I enjoy the Edwards GT as much or more as my Gibson R6 and putting the R6 up for sale. A great feature of the Edwards, for me at least, is their weight. My JP model weighs a hair under 8 lbs. Most of the other ones I've seen for sale weigh under 9 lbs. They don't come up for sale too often from US sellers. Most times you need to deal with someone in Japan. Whoever buys this one won't be sorry. currypowder