Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I couldn't understand Explorers/Standards...

Guest M1chael

Guest Michael

I never understood the attraction of these instruments. Despite their obviously rock & roll look, they appear to be awkward and heavy, and I never heard them enough to know if they have any distinguishing sound characteristics. The local shop has an Epiphone Korina Explorer and Flying V so I decided I'd check them out. I still don't get the V, but the Explorer has a great neck, easy access, and balanced perfectly; I was quite impressed. I was really surprised by how light it is; I was expecting a millstone around my neck --- not so! The sticker price was $499.00, so I can't imagine it was really Korina, but if I weren't saving pennies for another Hamer I might have been swayed. I'm an old duffer now; I think a far out looking guitar like that on a 50 year old might look a little... out of place! Still, if the Hamer version is as superior as their other production guitars I'm sure they kill. Even though they're not for me, I like looking at all the beautiful Standard pics you guys post; keep `em coming!

+1 on initial hesitancy RE an Explorer; been there, done that. I remember the Flying Vs of Dave Davies, Kim Simmonds, Andy Powell, and others (didn't know Keef played one at Hyde Park until the movie came out); wasn't aware of Lonnie Mack when he was at his most popular. I thought the V looked very cool but didn't really see anyone with an Explorer so my first reaction was that it looked like it zigged when it shoulda zagged.

That changed when I actually strapped one on. I still have a '76 Explorer, I no longer own an '84 "The V"---that latter looked sharp (bound cherry sunburst flame maple top) but it was WAY too neck-heavy. OTOH, the Explorer feels fine---yet another example of ergonomics over aesthetics.

I still don't get the V, but the Explorer has a great neck, easy access, and balanced perfectly; I was quite impressed

You should give the V another chance. The key to living with a V is to play with the strap until you find the perfect angle. IMO, Vs/Explorers are the most comfortable guitars, ever.

Still, if the Hamer version is as superior as their other production guitars I'm sure they kill

Yep, Hamer makes a superior V/Explorer. I also like Navigator (ESP) '76 reissue Explorers. Gibson, though, seems to have been making some nice stuff in the last 8 years or so...

Despite their obviously rock & roll look, they appear to be awkward and heavy, and I never heard them enough to know if they have any distinguishing sound characteristics

I had a Hamer korina Standard which was a log. Heavy as hell, but sounded/recorded killer. My impression of korina guitars is that they have an upper-mid spike which really cuts through. My current Standard weighs at just under 8lbs and is a joy to play. It's getting a bone nut/TonePros as we speak and I'm chompin' at the bit, LOL!

I'm not sure if Explorers have a "signature sound", like LPs/Teles/Strats, but I've found many V's have a certain sound/feel that I can't really put into words. They really excel for rhythm guitar and have a great lead tone. I don't know if it's the body shape or the long headstock...

I'm an old duffer now; I think a far out looking guitar like that on a 50 year old might look a little... out of place! Still, if the Hamer version is as superior as their other production guitars I'm sure they kill. Even though they're not for me, I like looking at all the beautiful Standard pics you guys post; keep `em coming!

I'm an even older duffer and I really don't care if it looks a little silly, these things balance and play so well that you're just strapped in and ready to roll. DavidE Looks great behind one.

The Korina is supposed to impart an upper-mid spike, and I don't know how true that is. But my Goldtop Standard had a chamber and a rock maple top, and it's definitely got a higher center of resonance than its all-mahogany brother. Neither one is particularly heavy either. The new one is also chambered and, at least over the phone, had that upper mid bark.

So do it. I saw some of the very first-ever Standards come through the door at the studio where I worked in the '70s and it took me almost 30 years to catch up, but man, they are some of the baddest, finest, coolest guitars on the planet. Especially when you're driving them.

I still think I'm not the Vee type tho.

I have a couple of great standards but my all time favorite is a V. Even sitting down, Just take the V put your left leg between the wings and rest the neck joint on your other leg. and go. Full access to all of the frets.

I'm going to have to move this one one day for a Vector.

102_0504.jpg

102_0503.jpg

I had a rough start with Explorers....

I had one 20 years ago or so and only held on to it for 2 months. It was heavy as hell and wouldn't stay in tune worth a damn. I thought they looked awesome tho'.

I never even picked up another until BruceM had a jam and unveiled Black Bart ( a black mahogany Standard) I played it about a minute and it was hopelessly out of tune. It was strung with .009's I think, probably new ones......and .009's can't hang with me ;) (or vice versa). SirDan played it and he made it sound great...he ended up buying it....

I still never had a big jones for an Explorer until a few HFC jams later. Bruce had a couple new guitars, a silver Standard and an orange sparkley one. He opened up the case for the orange one and I said something like....Its a custom.....WITH DOTS!!! ( I like dots alot more than crowns, and I HATE neck binding.....I know, I'm weird :) ).

I had to play it, so we started out the jam with some Funk 49 & other Joe Walsh type stuff and.....from the first notes....the guitar just FIT. It hung right, the neck was perfect, big like my Studio, but not quite a bat.

Notes just seemed to fly out of that guitar, it was like I'd played it a million times.....I didn't knock it out of tune, and it sounded awesome ( I LOVE when that happens)

Thanks to Bruce.....I play it every gig now

( I like dots alot more than crowns, and I HATE neck binding.....I know, I'm weird :) ).

I agree totally with all that, and I agree that your orange sparkle Standard is a special guitar. I had the pleasure of checking it out in the basement of the Muse and the only reason why I didn't ask Bruce to sell it to me is because I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to sell it.

You are a lucky man, Weston. That one is in my top 5 all-time Hamers that I've personally seen.

( I like dots alot more than crowns, and I HATE neck binding.....I know, I'm weird :) ).

I agree totally with all that, and I agree that your orange sparkle Standard is a special guitar. I had the pleasure of checking it out in the basement of the Muse and the only reason why I didn't ask Bruce to sell it to me is because I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to sell it.

You are a lucky man, Weston. That one is in my top 5 all-time Hamers that I've personally seen.

Suh-weeet...I should bring it Saturday then? ( I was going to anyways ;) )

Hamer Standards are the most well balanced and comfortable guitars there is to play. I was surprised when I first tried one, they are quite different from the Gi*son Explorers, thicker body, better (smaller) neck joint, etc.

I bought a Vector just before christmas and was really dissapointed at the feeling of a Vee. Really uncomfortable and neck heavy, it could not bond with the guitar at all. It was sad as it sounded great and had a super comfortable neck. But it had to go, vee's are not for me.

I'm an old duffer too and understand were you are coming from in the "feeling odd" about playing one. I have a Mahogany Standard that weighs in at the light Les Paul range.. It's a stellar sounding guitar and just obliterates any Gibson Explorer that has come up against it and easily competes with my Paul. I always say I should sell it(the whole being old/looks factor) but never can bring myself to actually do it

I'm an old duffer too and understand were you are coming from in the "feeling odd" about playing one thing. I have a Mahogany Standard that weighs in at the light Les Paul weight.. It's a stellar sounding guitar and just obliterates any Gibson Explorer that has come up against it and easily competes with my Paul. I always say I should sell it(the whole being old/looks factor) but never can bring myself to actually do it

Do it !!

QUOTE(Craig S @ Feb 28 2008, 07:58 AM)

I'm an old duffer too and understand were you are coming from in the "feeling odd" about playing one thing. I have a Mahogany Standard that weighs in at the light Les Paul weight.. It's a stellar sounding guitar and just obliterates any Gibson Explorer that has come up against it and easily competes with my Paul. I always say I should sell it(the whole being old/looks factor) but never can bring myself to actually do it

Do it !!

bubs_42 I have a band practice coming up and I'm going to play my "on the bubble" guitars... You'll be the first to know. I have yet to play this guitar in a band situation, can we say excess?? :)

QUOTE(Craig S @ Feb 28 2008, 07:58 AM)

Do it !!

bubs_42 I have a band practice coming up and I'm going to play my "on the bubble" guitars... You'll be the first to know. I have yet to play this guitar in a band situation, can we say excess?? :)

Ya, I don't know what the hell i'm going to do with three standards.. I'm definetly going to have to hide one from the wife... Can I stay with you? Nevermind..

Archived