joek86 Posted March 5, 2005 Posted March 5, 2005 While we are comparing, what is the board's thoughts on TCM models. SOUND< LOOKS< QUALITY?Joe
joek86 Posted March 5, 2005 Author Posted March 5, 2005 PhoenixTell me about the Terrycaster!Build materials, finish, useful tones...........Joe
kizanski Posted March 5, 2005 Posted March 5, 2005 While we're on the subject of McInturffs:Could someone tell me the difference between the Glory Standard and the Empress and why the resale on these guitars is so terrible?Sorry for the hijack - I'll sit down now.
phoenix Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 Joe, Terry has written exhausively on his site. There are also 2 thorough reviews of the tones by way better players than me. Mine is swamp ash body, lacewood top and solid indian rosewood neck. SD mini and Voodoo bridge PU. HHB might take a shot at it. The real trip is the special mid cut/boost knob. I cant even show photos until he gets it protected somehow. The goal was to use it in combination with the tone knob to give sounds from many of the famous Fender Telecaster recordings figuring in the other equipment (amps, etc) too. IIRCKiz, I dunno. he doesnt even have an import line. LOL
BadgerDave Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 Kiz, L to R, a Monarch, Glory Custom and Empress. The Monarch is solid mahogany, the Glory has 2 humbuckers and the Empress has the s/s/h configuation. I bought all of these at ridiculously low prices on eBay. I flipped the Monarch and Glory, but the Empress is a keeper. Light, comfortable, versatile and great sounding. Every time I think about buying a PRS, I pull out the Empress and think "why bother?"
kizanski Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 The Monarch is solid mahogany, the Glory has 2 humbuckers and the Empress has the s/s/h configuation. Thanks Dave. I kinda thought it was the p/u config, but I thought I had seen Empresses with 2 'buckers, or vise versa. Of course it could be the memory failing again.I've seen so many of the Empresses go by on ebaY for insanely cheap prices, yet I never pull the trigger.Hmmm...this may be about to change...
hardheartedbill Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 my Taurus is my best sounding guitar , right now it's got a P-90 in the neck and I'm waiting on a hum cancelling version to start gigging it more ( WTF is going on w/ all the wiring these days, single coils are becoming impossible to gig!) but it's really my best instrument by leaps and bounds , it oozes quality, feel and tone. If I could only keep one this would be it ( chambered long scale w/ a trem, a dream come true! )
BadgerDave Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 So what are insanely cheap prices for these axes?Recent eBay saleThis sale suffered from horrible photos. I've seen that color in person and it is actually very attractive. Empresses tend to go for around $1,200.
serial Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 Here's a pic I took last summer of what I think is THE coolest McInturff period.http://photobucket.com/albums/v153/serial/100_0388.jpg
burningyen Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 The Barn Guitar is the coolest guitar I've ever seen.Bill, I hope by "if I could only keep one" you don't mean you're selling your Taurus!I've tried several TCMs. They didn't speak to me, but they were the maple-top models, and I'm not much of a maple guy (although I have been tempted by a few LPs). I find the build quality is at least as good as Hamer's. I'd love to try Bill's model and the Terrycaster.
hardheartedbill Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 The Barn Guitar is the coolest guitar I've ever seen.Bill, I hope by "if I could only keep one" you don't mean you're selling your Taurus!I've tried several TCMs. They didn't speak to me, but they were the maple-top models, and I'm not much of a maple guy (although I have been tempted by a few LPs). I find the build quality is at least as good as Hamer's. I'd love to try Bill's model and the Terrycaster. Ben, I meant that if I could only keep one electric it would be my Mc. The all mahogany w/ chambers is a really nice combo, I only own one mapletop myself (LP custom ), you should try a Taurus sportster, the deals are insane and the value is amazing
Stike Posted March 6, 2005 Posted March 6, 2005 I say buy NC products! Bill, the noise problem is because by having no animal fat in your body you're much more suceptable to 60 cycle hum .
BadgerDave Posted March 8, 2005 Posted March 8, 2005 Terry McInturff designed the Mirage during his tenure with Hamer.Hamer content requirement fulfilled and main board status established, Sir!
HamerHokie Posted March 8, 2005 Posted March 8, 2005 Yeah, ain't this Outer Circle material? I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you mentioned it...
Stike Posted March 8, 2005 Posted March 8, 2005 Terry will swear up and down on a case of Beam that he did not design the Mirage or the Eclipse.Bill, when you asked whats this doing here did you mean my half assed smart ass reply to your comment about single coils?
hardheartedbill Posted March 9, 2005 Posted March 9, 2005 no, it was a smartass reply concerning the NHC thang
GuitarDoyle Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 Does McInturff use a poly finish? Then again, I only know that Gibson uses Nitro and maybe one PRS model. I think most of the top builders like Hamer use Poly.
hardheartedbill Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 older Mc have nitro, mine does and it is a selling point IMO
Stike Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 I'd say Terry's nitro finishes are a selling point, really thin and he uses a really good formulation from a really good company. Most of the stuff from Gibson not so much. I stripped 2 different fairly recent Gibby's last year and they were way thicker than some of the polyester and urethane finishes out there. BTW they were standard production line models, not historic or custom shop ones.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.