polara Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 Wow. Still a bit tired but my my goodness Reykjavík is a fun city. These people party like there is no tomorrow. At the tail end of my Eurovacation I arrived in Iceland to do a couple of shows at the invitation of Brudarbandid ( http://www.brudarbandid.biz ) and their label, 12 Tónar after they heard some of my solo demos and Zero to 60 stuff. Traveling with the Duotone and a DG Stomp was compact, though every airline treats a guitar differently. If you ever have a chance, fly SN Brussels Airlines. They INSISTED I carry on the guitar even though it broke carry-on regulations. Northwest on the other hand, lost all my baggage, including guitar, en route to Prague and Delta has yet to deliver the guitar to me today as I write this. Oh, well. Anyway, was driven through the weird black lava fields surrounding Keflavík to Reykjavík itself and went to a radio station. There I signed the "wall of fame" and did a quick interview, then picked up a Hohner acoustic and did a live song. Then off to 12 Tónar to do an in-store with Unnur from Brudarbandid on bass. Free wine and espresso laced with whiskey! Woohoo! Then off to dinner and the Grand Rokk, the big music dive downtown. Four bands (well, three plus me) on the bill. The Duotone had to play without the DG Stomp, as it just quit working. I payed the gig out the piezo output straight into the PA and it seemed to sound fine. Stayed in tune and might be the only Hamer in Iceland. After that was some dancing 'til 5am, eating of soured whale blubber and shark and blood pudding and haggis, thermal vents, a geyser, snow... um. Yes. I like Iceland.
hardheartedbill Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 ya had me until eating of soured whale blubber and shark and blood pudding and haggissonufa beetch thats nasty sounding
sirDaniel Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 nifty tale... wish me bass player looked half that good
MCChris Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 Looks like they're real sensitive about their monitors falling over up there.
Jeff R Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 That's for theft deterrent purposes, Chris. Somebody apparently swiped the cymbals earlier that night.
bobbymack Posted March 10, 2005 Posted March 10, 2005 Cool pics, cool story, cute bass player.Nice job!
BruceM Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 Did you get your guitar back yet? This is the most intriguing gig I've seen in awhile. Very cool.
Disturber Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 Sounds like you are having a great time!Glad to see the duotone showed up intact.From what I've heard about Iceland theynow how to P.A.R.T.Y up there.I have to go and see for myself. It's so damn expensiveto fly there for some reason.
tafkathundernotes Posted March 13, 2005 Posted March 13, 2005 That pic in the window looks like a big 'ol honkin wad of duct tape holding the mic to the stand. Is the whole country held together with tape?
phoenix Posted March 13, 2005 Posted March 13, 2005 Wow, what a trip Rick. let me know you spring/summer schedule. steve
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.