Anyone usa a MXR Blue Box?

i did, a very long time ago.

Like Frank Marino.....

A slow Stuka dive bomb,

and at the end...

hit the Blue box, explosion!

Or

do your greatest hits solo on In thru the Outdoor :P

Or a little Pat Travers or Ace Frehley noise!

I used one when I was playing in a stoner rock band, sounds great for sick thick riffs or doubled leads ala Jimmy Page. I also had the DOD Buzzbox, which was even sicker, if you turned one of the knobs up to much, it would blow your speakers, and that was a warning from Buzz Osborne himself when I met him after a Fantomas show.

I use a BOSS Octaver - does the same thing. My guitar player uses it now for one song in front of a fairly clean Fender amp with a bit of BOSS overdrive in the signal. Doesn't really require much dirt to get that sound.

I’ve got a Blue Box gathering dust... Generally I’d go into a clean amp with the MXR as the fuzz would turn most gain channels to indecipherable mush (unless that’s what you’re after).

I favour the Foxrox Octron over the MXR, goes really well in front of a driven amp and you can dial in some extra bite using the octave up which has a bit of fuzz to it. More expensive, sure... but it’s a really great pedal for bringing the heavy.

Every time I buy a Fuzz Pedal I can't stand it. I love the tone but cannot find it workable. So I played the Blue Box and it sounded really good. I got one used for $35.00. It doesn't hit the tone thats in my head but its the closest thing to it i've found. If I Turn on my Way Huge Green Rhino and Porkloin at the same time I hear the sound that I want but its unmanagable at stage volume. It also sounds like a jet engine in an airplane hagar. Thanks for the input.

I do not believe the blue box is a true octave effect pedal, in the same camp as the Boss, Foxrox, etc.

The Blue box has its own thing going on.... random, squirly, eradic, bouncy at times. It does octaves, but in its own way.

For consistency in octave notes with clarity, the original Whammy, hands down.

In my experience the Blue Box knobs had a physically larger turn/twist area than the sonically useful range of the turn. Also, where you set the knobs to sound good in one range of notes would not always work in another not range.

Hey Bubs, have you tried the Way Huge Swollen Pickle?

I never used mine as a stand alone fuzz pedal, I had a tech 21 XXL for that. I used it more for a complementary pedal for certain riffs and solos.

I really need to try that one out. I have three Way Huge Pedals and they complement my Guitar/Amp Tone very well.

With a Fender Deluxe it sounds great as a stand alone. With good Volume. But with my Tweaker it doen't work as well. Not enough Cut or Clearity, but a good for thickening a quick fill or lead line.

It doesn't sound like an ocatve effect on that track. He is tuned low, possibly to a low A or B and it sounds like he's got a few signals all meshing together-multiple amps or cabs maybe. Could be cascading gain stages on his amp or stacked OD/Distortion pedals. Could be a fuzz or just his speakers farting out a little as well. Did he use small tweeds on this or Marshalls?

I figure its a fuzz box in at least one signal and a signal minus the fuzz at the least. Running more than one pedal has crossed my mind. I get close to it running my Pork Loin and Green Rhino together in line. I've had a couple of Fuzz Box Pedals and they just just destroy everything. I want to try the Swollen Pickle its got enough knobs on it that I may be able to dial in what I "think" I hear. That would make my tone pallet on my pedalboard complete as far as gritty layers are concerned.

As for the Blue Box it is an octave pedal but opened all the way up with box knobs on max it does a pretty good fuzz.

My .02 - Besides being tuned down, I believe he uses lighter gauge strings (as opposed the normal heavier gauge). You can almost hear them flopping around.

The Rev's tone since Antenna (even back to 'My Head's in Mississippi') sounds like something about to blow up or crap out. The end of one track (forget the name) sounds like a bad cord shorting out. Whether it's a studio trick or not, it definitely has it's own sound. :P Lately he has some of the grubbiest, dirtiest, nastiest, mean-sounding guitar tones you'll ever hear. Not sure how he does it, but I like it.

My .02 - Besides being tuned down, I believe he uses lighter gauge strings (as opposed the normal heavier gauge). You can almost hear them flopping around.

The Rev's tone since Antenna (even back to 'My Head's in Mississippi') sounds like something about to blow up or crap out. The end of one track (forget the name) sounds like a bad cord shorting out. Whether it's a studio trick or not, it definitely has it's own sound. :P Lately he has some of the grubbiest, dirtiest, nastiest, mean-sounding guitar tones you'll ever hear. Not sure how he does it, but I like it.

I love the Rev's Tone and Playing. The New Album is supposed to come out by the end of the year. I should be interesting to see what they do.

You know Billy Gibbons used the Bionex Expandora box on that CD, and still uses one or several. He has like 7 or 8 stacked on a pole on stage...I'm sure it's for show, but I've read he loves those pedals.

You know Billy Gibbons used the Bionex Expandora box on that CD, and still uses one or several. He has like 7 or 8 stacked on a pole on stage...I'm sure it's for show, but I've read he loves those pedals.

bdhr-expandora.jpg

I think the Rev. Billy G. tends to 'embellish' more than a little bit. I don't believe much of anything either he or EVH have to say about their chain. Sure drove the price of a somewhat obscure pedal go through the roof though. :P

Cool Pedal I've wanted one of those for a while. The prices are up and down I just haven't been able to nail one when the prices are down.

The new ones are fugly compared to the first two. I don't know why they changed them.

Archived