Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Starship

No.

That's just a really, really shitty song.

Airplane > Starship.

No doubt they were in their 20's. When I was in the 6th grade I remember that "Miracles" "Slow Ride" "Sultans of Swing", "Year of the Cat" "Lines on my Face" were all favorites of mine.

Seems like Starship was kind of an 80's produced sell-out to a few members and some that even went along with it now look back on it with a little embarrassment, which I don't think they should. I can envision them in the studio, older, with a young hotshot producer who is "going to give them an 80's modern sound", which was done. Same thing later with Heart. Whomever wrote some of their 80's stuff probably wrote for many others bands of the time because when the Steve Perry vocal sound was in style for the early 80's Rock and Roll ballads. imo of course

The liner notes for Red Octopus says that the producer, Larry Cox, was trying to keep the Airplane sound while pushing the band to have a more updated sound. The main carryover is the backing vocal style of Kantner and Slick. The Red Octopus album is a mix of different sounds rather than one continuous set of 70's rock radio. It kept them going and it is no secret that anyone could have quit if they wanted. Enough members did quit.

You're a brave man Haynie. This is a band I would not go see live, even if Matthes said he'd buy the beers, and the tickets were free.

That's how I got him to go see Elton John with me.

Stranger was my favorite song of the evening. When some people were yelling requests I calmly said, "Just play Stranger again." Mickey Thomas heard me and laughed about it.

You know, I can totally picture this, and I love it!

Goats Bleating > Airplane > Starship.

(Corrected)

Archived