Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: A Rather Ugly Cali Elite FM

"Excellent condition?" In what universe are screw holes thru the finish and into the wood a facet of excellent condition? :blink:

what is up with all the holes in the body?

Roland pickup install I presume. Unfortunate, as is the color. On the other hand I think that may be the earliest transparent black Hamer I've seen?

-

Austin

That's actually a smoking deal and an easy fix/refin in any color you want candidate.

I'm surprised it is still priced so low.

That's actually a smoking deal and an easy fix/refin in any color you want candidate.

I dunno. I've toyed with the idea of buying a Standard with a pickguard, even-though I really want one WITHOUT a pickguard. Those screw-holes? They go to the wood - and making them "disappear" to the untrained eye is looking like BIG bucks - full strip-down to bare wood, wood-filler, tonal blending, wood-grain matching, re-finish, clear topcoat, etc. etc. etc. There's no 'good' way to get this done, unless you cover the thing with an opaque paint finish that will hide the shame that those holes represent. This guitar might have been better-off had the seller left the FIshman/Roland pickup in-place - this guitar looks like a Ferrari that's been shot-up with a submachine gun.

Never2Late's just sayin' that to ward off any interest in, hence, competition for scoring that Cali! ;)

If I were interested in it, the screw holes would pose little threat. With the current fugly finish color (is that Baby-Diarrhea-Brown or Hamburger's-Been-in-the-Fridge-WAY-Too-Long-Gray?) that Cali would be a candidate for one of my vomit-causing, retina-searing finishes. :lol:

It must be about a month until you are fed up with that one of yours Austin? :P

Actually, I think it might stick around for a bit. It's been instant bonding, like my Blue Studio Custom.

-

Austin

I disagree. That's an easy refin fix that would still keep you below the price of one of those - AND you'd be able to pick the color.

I dunno. I've toyed with the idea of buying a Standard with a pickguard, even-though I really want one WITHOUT a pickguard. Those screw-holes? They go to the wood - and making them "disappear" to the untrained eye is looking like BIG bucks - full strip-down to bare wood, wood-filler, tonal blending, wood-grain matching, re-finish, clear topcoat, etc. etc. etc. There's no 'good' way to get this done, unless you cover the thing with an opaque paint finish that will hide the shame that those holes represent. This guitar might have been better-off had the seller left the FIshman/Roland pickup in-place - this guitar looks like a Ferrari that's been shot-up with a submachine gun.

I disagree. That's an easy refin fix that would still keep you below the price of one of those - AND you'd be able to pick the color.

Do you have to re-top the guitar?

By "re-top" do you mean re-apply the clear coat?

If yes, not necessarily. I've seen/heard of spot touch ups to the clear.

If you're referring to the top, as in maple cap, it's solid maple.

I've seen this fix done before, and with far worse damage. It's not terribly expensive, and usually within the price of a quality body refin.

Archived