Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Johnny Winter

He was a fun player...an unapologetic blues-rocker who played fast and with some flash in the pre-shred days....

I love when he played pure blues, like on Muddy’s Hard Again album.

Good stuff. He sounds like he is having the time of his life when he plays. A passionate player.

Love Johnny and Love Edgar Winter both VERY gifted musicians. This one of Johnny' was always my favorites.

Yes, his early stuff is that modified Fender 12 and it is smokin’....you can real,y hear it well on the Fillmore album with Kooper/Bloomfield where he was “discovered”. Just cookin’....

LOVE that Woodstock clip. I think I’ll crank some JW poolside today ifthe rain holds off.

I live his playing. He just seems so unafraid to just let it rip.

Oh I just no noticed the p-bass looking pickup on that Fender XII....donyone know much about those pickups?

WelI, I listened to Still Alive And Well during some time on the new exercise bike. I love how JW is a fan of the guitar. He just let’s it fly on every song. I miss that.

That’s so cool to hear, Shark. My copy of  SAAW has some bonus cuts that keeps some studio dialog and you can hear JW talking and yeah, he sounds like Everyman....but one is excited about playing guitar.

23 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Oh I just no noticed the p-bass looking pickup on that Fender XII....donyone know much about those pickups?

Other than that they sound wicked in his hands and are unique to that XII model, nope.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Love Johnny and Love Edgar Winter both VERY gifted musicians. This one of Johnny' was always my favorites.

Back in 9th grade we had a little garage band and while listening to some records of stuff we wanted to learn, my older brother comes in the room waiving this album that he had just bought  (proclaiming something like “ if you guys want to play something good then try some of this”) that ended up being three sides of vinyl that forever changed this then-ninth grader...

Archived