wolfman Posted November 29, 2020 Posted November 29, 2020 5 minutes ago, pablo said: Congratulations! So beautifull🤗 Thanks! Been looking for one just like this for years, and when I saw the one that the guy from the UK posted last year, I told myself that I couldn't pass up the opportunity if one should show up again...
tbonesullivan Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 On 11/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, wolfman said: MINE! 🤘😁🤘 SAVED! I was starting to think that maybe quilted maple wasn't so bad. Have fun with it!
wolfman Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 5 hours ago, tbonesullivan said: SAVED! I was starting to think that maybe quilted maple wasn't so bad. Have fun with it! HAHAHA! The one in your profile pic is gorgeous! Truth be told, I just wanted an indigo blue studio...the fact that its a quilt is a bonus!
HamerCustomEr Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 On 11/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, tbonesullivan said: That IS nice. But, me and quilt just don't get along. Every time I look at a quilted top I wish it was flamed. I feel the same way about quilted maple. I can understand why others like it, but I love the flamed maple.
HamerCustomEr Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 On 11/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, wolfman said: MINE! 🤘😁🤘 Congratulations!
tbonesullivan Posted December 2, 2020 Posted December 2, 2020 12 hours ago, wolfman said: HAHAHA! The one in your profile pic is gorgeous! Truth be told, I just wanted an indigo blue studio...the fact that its a quilt is a bonus! Yeah, when it came up for sale, I needed to have it. It's such a beautiful guitar, with so much complexity just in the COLOR. Indigo is a color that is just awesome. 12 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said: I feel the same way about quilted maple. I can understand why others like it, but I love the flamed maple. Back when I was a big Carvin fan, I could never understand why people were SOOOO much about the Quilted maple, and not about the flame. A nice tight flame top is just... iconic, and you get much more of that 'flip flop" effect.
Omega Racer Scott Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 On 12/3/2020 at 2:25 AM, tbonesullivan said: Yeah, when it came up for sale, I needed to have it. It's such a beautiful guitar, with so much complexity just in the COLOR. Indigo is a color that is just awesome. Back when I was a big Carvin fan, I could never understand why people were SOOOO much about the Quilted maple, and not about the flame. A nice tight flame top is just... iconic, and you get much more of that 'flip flop" effect. As your someone has experienced both brands, how does Carvin's compare to Hamers quality? I've been looking at possibly buying one, but I've heard mixed reviews
tbonesullivan Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 12 minutes ago, Omega Racer Scott said: As your someone has experienced both brands, how does Carvin's compare to Hamers quality? I've been looking at possibly buying one, but I've heard mixed reviews Carvin / Kiesel build quality is very good. Very precise and well made. The biggest complaint that almost everyone has is about the pickups. They are pretty transparent, to the point that some call them sterile. I've heard a lot of people get incredible tones with them, but they are not the typical sound many expect. The only Carvin guitar I have left is my Bolt, with the AP11 single coil pickups, which are GREAT sounding. Very glassy with a little bit of bite. Perfect for a strat style guitar. They changed their name to Kiesel after splitting from Carvin Amplifiers / Audio, and now have made some new 6 pole piece pickups, though they seem very geared towards the metal crowd now. But there are tons of great used ones out there. They definitely broke the mold on lot of things.
Omega Racer Scott Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 49 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said: Carvin / Kiesel build quality is very good. Very precise and well made. The biggest complaint that almost everyone has is about the pickups. They are pretty transparent, to the point that some call them sterile. I've heard a lot of people get incredible tones with them, but they are not the typical sound many expect. The only Carvin guitar I have left is my Bolt, with the AP11 single coil pickups, which are GREAT sounding. Very glassy with a little bit of bite. Perfect for a strat style guitar. They changed their name to Kiesel after splitting from Carvin Amplifiers / Audio, and now have made some new 6 pole piece pickups, though they seem very geared towards the metal crowd now. But there are tons of great used ones out there. They definitely broke the mold on lot of things. Yeah, I knew that people weren't happy with the pickups and that they changed their name back to Kiesel. I not long ago bought one of their Vintage 16 amps. Are they as good as Hamers (US made) apart from the pickups? Also, have you ever played or owned any of their CT3's, CT4's or CT6's in particular?
cmatthes Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 No offense, but I've never played a Carvin guitar that was worth a damn. Personal impressions only, but they're sterile, sound awful, and I just don't get the attraction. I've played plenty, but wouldn't waste my time with them anymore. I've played a few of their basses that were decent, and a few good amps, but the guitars... MEH.
gtrdaddy Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 9 hours ago, cmatthes said: MEH Describes my experience as well. While I did have a CT6 I thought was much nicer than everything going back to the early ‘80s I’d had and tried, it wasn’t for me. Do they compare to Hamer? Not even close.
tbonesullivan Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 10 hours ago, Omega Racer Scott said: Yeah, I knew that people weren't happy with the pickups and that they changed their name back to Kiesel. I not long ago bought one of their Vintage 16 amps. Are they as good as Hamers (US made) apart from the pickups? Also, have you ever played or owned any of their CT3's, CT4's or CT6's in particular? I owned a CT6M for a while. It was a great guitar, easy to play, and the neck pickup was incredible. It had an H22N Alan Holdsworth neck pickup, which is honestly one of the best pickups that they ever made. Great neck sound. The bridge pickup was "OK", their standard C22B pickup. But it all depends on what you are looking for. There was a user on the old Carvin Museum forums named "Mesadude", who had Carvin, Gibson, Hamer, and many other brands, and he liked his Carvins, and make them sound incredible.
VincentYGB Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 I've had four Carvins starting 30 yrs ago. Every one was well built and every one needed better pickups.
tbonesullivan Posted March 1, 2021 Posted March 1, 2021 1 hour ago, VincentYGB said: I've had four Carvins starting 30 yrs ago. Every one was well built and every one needed better pickups. YEP. The basses have good pickups though. I love the J99 and J99A pickups, though they seem to have moved on from those.
VincentYGB Posted March 4, 2021 Posted March 4, 2021 On 3/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, tbonesullivan said: YEP. The basses have good pickups though. I love the J99 and J99A pickups, though they seem to have moved on from those. All were basses.
Jakeboy Posted March 6, 2021 Posted March 6, 2021 On 11/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, Travis said: Oh, damn. That’s NICE. I’d pull the trigger right now if it weren’t for that confounded first fret crown... 😉 I am one of the few that actually likes a first few crown...on the right guitar. This indigo blue Studio is one of them. I also like them on Fender Jassmaster/Jags if the board is dark. And it has to be a crown...no other inlay will work there for me....and it absolutely cannot be a Fender black block on a maple neck...
Travis Posted March 6, 2021 Posted March 6, 2021 21 minutes ago, Jakeboy said: and it absolutely cannot be a Fender black block on a maple neck...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.