Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Celestion Speakers

bubs_42

Question

9 answers to this question

On 4/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, bubs_42 said:

My understanding is that any Celestion badged Celestion International is made in China. Correct? 

Depends on the speaker honestly. All speakers they make say "Celestion International" and have for quite a while, before the Gold Peak buyout in 1992.  If the label on the back mentions "Ipswich, England" then it is made in the UK.  If it doesn't, usually it is made in China. However I think the Creamback speakers don't mention Ipswich England, even if they are made in the UK.

Mesa boogie sells only UK Made Celestion speakers, sometimes at the same price as as the Chinese speakers, sometimes higher.

Gold Peak owned Celestion for about 10 years before they moved most production to China in 2002.

You can find the date codes on the speakers to confirm if they were made before the move.

27 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Depends on the speaker honestly. All speakers they make say "Celestion International" and have for quite a while, before the Gold Peak buyout in 1992.  If the label on the back mentions "Ipswich, England" then it is made in the UK.  If it doesn't, usually it is made in China. However I think the Creamback speakers don't mention Ipswich England, even if they are made in the UK.

Mesa boogie sells only UK Made Celestion speakers, sometimes at the same price as as the Chinese speakers, sometimes higher.

Gold Peak owned Celestion for about 10 years before they moved most production to China in 2002.

You can find the date codes on the speakers to confirm if they were made before the move.

My late 90's/ 2000 Greenback say England on them. I just see to many "Made in UK" speakers labeled "International", I just think the sellers don't know either way. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. 

This is bringing back bad memories of a transaction from 15 years ago when I sold a G12H-30, the label said Ipswich, England, and I sold it as UK made.  

The buyer received it, saw the 70th Anniversary label and said that version is all Chinese made and that I had bait & switched him on the deal by referring to the speaker as being a UK version.  He filed a claim and won.  There wasn't anything on the speaker that said Made in China, but nothing that said made in UK either.  

I just looked up the current G12H-30 being sold on Sweetwater; it does not say Ipswich; it says Celestion International.  It also has a sticker on the magnet rim that says Made in UK.  🤔

It was my understanding per a Celestion rep at NAMM that unless the speaker label itself says Made In England, and has Thames Ditton Surrey, Ditton, Foxhall Rd, Ipswich, Suffolk, or a combination of these, that it is made in China.

A sticker saying Made in UK on the magnet rim, don't know quite what to make of that...  Dunno. They don't make it easy, and I'm quite certain that's intentional.

ETA: Just looked at the Sweetwater site and saw the pics that @soli'd mentioned with the stickers, and saw Creambacks with the same one. They really make it hard. They shouldn't make it so hard for the consumer to make choices. 

2 hours ago, soli'd said:

This is bringing back bad memories of a transaction from 15 years ago when I sold a G12H-30, the label said Ipswich, England, and I sold it as UK made.  

The buyer received it, saw the 70th Anniversary label and said that version is all Chinese made and that I had bait & switched him on the deal by referring to the speaker as being a UK version.  He filed a claim and won.  There wasn't anything on the speaker that said Made in China, but nothing that said made in UK either.  

I just looked up the current G12H-30 being sold on Sweetwater; it does not say Ipswich; it says Celestion International.  It also has a sticker on the magnet rim that says Made in UK.  🤔

Oh screw that guy. He knew exactly what he was doing. Did you at least get the speaker back?

Putting a false country of origin sticker on something is a HUGE screw up. Sweetwater would not show that picture unless they were sure.

However, yes, there is confusion over where they are made, and it sucks. I also notice that Warehouse Speakers are "assembled in the U.S.A.", so I don't know how much is made here, and how much is made there.

I know some Eminence speakers are "assembled" in the U.S.A, because you can't use a British Paper Cone in a speaker and call it 'Made in U.S.A.".

Attached are pictures of a Vintage 30. The super long address is definitely UK Made. There's also a lot of misinformation and obfuscation going on.

Celestion-Vintage-30-8-ohm-763530-back_04fb439e-17c9-4cb9-a425-3accfc078a52__87370.1472686628.jpg

vin30china.jpg

For Fucks Sakes! 🖕I assume everything they make except the "Heritage Speakers" are made in China. Oh well, its good that I asked now we know. Well we know more, and now its even more confusing. LOL 

Archived