Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jackson relaunches American made Soloist

scottcald

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, LucSulla said:

What's nuts is that these are actually $100 less than the MIJ Series Soloists. That has to be a first. 

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-US/body-shape/soloist/mj-series-soloist-sl2/2904019876.html

I’d love to A/B them back to back to see and hear the differences. From aesthetics alone, seems I would prefer the MIJ…. 😬

1 hour ago, cynic said:

“Latin” American Series?

Don't think so.

...the American Series Soloist SL3, which ushers in the brand’s first range of guitars to be made entirely in Fender’s California factory.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, scottcald said:

Great that they're making some in the US again, but they should've used the original Floyd.  

It's a 1500 Series which is what Schecter uses on their imports- stainless steel screws on a Ping Floyd. Why they just don't pony up and get the OFR on there (other than the obvious maximizing of profit), is beyond me. IMHO, the SS bits on the 1500 add little, if any improvement to the primary function of the trem- lowering and raising pitch and a boatload of other wacky and wonderful effects. They resist corrosion. The responsiveness issues I've encountered with Korean Floyds are still there and largely unresolved.

9 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

It's a 1500 Series which is what Schecter uses on their imports- stainless steel screws on a Ping Floyd. Why they just don't pony up and get the OFR on there (other than the obvious maximizing of profit), is beyond me. IMHO, the SS bits on the 1500 add little, if any improvement to the primary function of the trem- lowering and raising pitch and a boatload of other wacky and wonderful effects. They resist corrosion. The responsiveness issues I've encountered with Korean Floyds are still there and largely unresolved.

Or, if it's a cost thing, a Gotoh would do the trick.  Are the posts the same for the Korean Floyds or is that where you find there's an issue? 

7 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Or, if it's a cost thing, a Gotoh would do the trick.  Are the posts the same for the Korean Floyds or is that where you find there's an issue? 

Gotohs would be a definite step up. A lot of folks prefer Gotohs over OFRs anyway.

As for post spacing:

OFRs- 74.3 mm post spacing

Gotohs- 74 mm

It will fit because Gotohs have a straight edged blade on the one side but that .3 mm could create some string alignment issues.

12 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Gotohs would be a definite step up. A lot of folks prefer Gotohs over OFRs anyway.

As for post spacing:

OFRs- 74.3 mm post spacing

Gotohs- 74 mm

It will fit because Gotohs have a straight edged blade on the one side but that .3 mm could create some string alignment issues.

Oh, right.  Was also wondering if you know are the Korean Floyd posts the same as the OFR posts in terms of quality?

7 minutes ago, scottcald said:

If I was buying one, I'd definitely look in that direction, I was just curious if there are known differences in the posts (material, durability etc). 

Ah ok... 😀

If you're ever in the market for one, there is a killer Ontario made one at a local shop near me that I would help negotiate and ship to you 😉 

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Don't think so.

...the American Series Soloist SL3, which ushers in the brand’s first range of guitars to be made entirely in Fender’s California factory.

Got it. I guess I was skeptical given they’re bringing back the US Soloist with the SL3 model that’s only ever been an import, and using parts typical of imports. 

US made means little if the “better” aspect isn’t met. 

37 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Oh, right.  Was also wondering if you know are the Korean Floyd posts the same as the OFR posts in terms of quality?

I use the same rule of thumb as with the rest of the components- assume the worst. Reportedly, they're made of the same material, using the same specs as the German version. BUT... I have yet to play on a MIK Floyd that wasn't sub par to an OFR, Schaller, Gotoh or Edge. EVER. Not sure what they're doing in Korea but IMHO it's not quite up to what Germany and Japan are putting out. That said, I replace everything except the inserts/studs.

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

Got it. I guess I was skeptical given they’re bringing back the US Soloist with the SL3 model that’s only ever been an import, and using parts typical of imports. 

US made means little if the “better” aspect isn’t met. 

Cost cutting. That's all. And yeah, quality suffers in response IMO.

24 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I use the same rule of thumb as with the rest of the components- assume the worst. Reportedly, they're made of the same material, using the same specs as the German version. BUT... I have yet to play on a MIK Floyd that wasn't sub par to an OFR, Schaller, Gotoh or Edge. EVER. Not sure what they're doing in Korea but IMHO it's not quite up to what Germany and Japan are putting out. That said, I replace everything except the inserts/studs.

Thanks, good to know from a serial trem abuser. 😂

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

Ah ok... 😀

If you're ever in the market for one, there is a killer Ontario made one at a local shop near me that I would help negotiate and ship to you 😉 

Thanks, appreciate it.  I did like the Reverb video where the put them in the hands of two different players who didn't know what they were being handed.  

https://reverb.com/news/video-ariel-posen-and-max-damske-react-to-the-jackson-american-soloist

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Sweet.  What pickups do you have in it?

Bridge is DiMarzio X2N, neck is Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker single coil size. Middle is stock Duncan stacked Humbucker STK-1. This was my downtuning setup, at the moment I use a DiMarzio Superdistortion in the bridge position, but a friend gave me last week some Bare Knuckle PUs to check out at the bridge. 

1 hour ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

I don't like the headstock logo not stating "Made in USA" like every other US-made Jackson that preceded it.  At least it would differentiate it from all of the imports from the front.  YMMV.

Yeah totally agree 100%... perhaps there is veiled shady shit amiss

Archived