Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Le Hamer pR0n.

JGale

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, RobB said:

What’s the story on this Newport? I’ve NEVER seen one without f-holes. 

No f holes and the only one I know with a v shaped neck.   Custom order for a family member of an exec if I remember the backstory right.  I had sold the “blonde” Newport because the neck was on the thin side.   This one has more to it. 

6 hours ago, BTMN said:

Nice dozen you got there.

😎👍❤️

The  Newport and T-51 are the only ones left.  I can’t find the pics of the DTs, black Daytona with a rosewood fretboard, the studio, arch top studio custom or Talladega or the others that have come and gone. Geez.   This place really has been dangerous to my wallet. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Huh?.. please explain 

Not long ago I got a Chaparral Deluxe that has a set of emgs, this was my introduction to these pickups and I have grown to love them..

the stock setup is 9volt battery, you can run two 9 volt batteries in series which gives 19 volts, or you can run two a23 batteries in series which gives 25 volts (to the preamp built into the pickup)

I have tested all three combinations and greatly prefer the a23s at 25 volts, much more open and musical

another benefit is they are very small, an a23 is the size of AA battery cut in half

Another trick to make these sound really really good is get the tone pot out of the circuit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, I have discovered that good batteries sound better than Dollar Store batteries also :-) two pack of a23s from Amazon is $5, also I think it sounds a little better soldering the wires to the batteries, which is easy.. compared to using little holders like you can see in the picture

Best sounding distance from the fretted strings seems to be 1.5 mm High e and 2.5 mm low E

EMG recommends 3 mm on each side and go from there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1