Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Phantom finish question

ChemtoolerB-12

Question

Hello,  I am a new member, so please let me know if this post is in the wrong location.

I picked up this Phantom at a local pawn shop a while back.  I got it fairly cheap due to the finish problems, but I just wanted to check to see if the gang here had any idea what happened to the finish. It looks like orange peel to me, but may be it was refinished.  I was not sure the best way to upload pictures, so I put them in a pdf to fit the size limit.

Phantom pics.pdf

22 answers to this question

Welcome. 
Check the FAQ on how to post pictures. 
In general, though, you’ll never see orange peel on a stock Hamer finish.  

• Like 2

Thanks, I was not sure, because it is the same in the pick-up and control cavities.  Also, I did think the headstock would match if it was a re-finish.  PS I am not Mark Howell. That appears to be a sticker

IMG_1814.jpg

• Like 1

Looks legit.  Is the serial number still visible?

I agreed with Kiz about it not looking original, but the other bits you mentioned, maybe the paint got damaged?  Weird. 

- Love the crowns on this one!  My '84 Proto ii has some weirdness on the paint, but not as much 'peel' as yours: who knows what that poor thing has been through.

A Fender mexi trem bar fits the Kahler iirc. 

It has both Kahler bars. The regular one and the smaller palm style.

Serial number is visible. It looks like it might have been burnt on the end of the head-stock. I thought it was tape residue but is does not come off.  IMG_1818.jpg.a346c382cf4a2d9686be723d91840616.jpg

I'm guessing they didn't use enough hardener in the lacquer, and the paint never fully hardened, causing the case fuzz to imprint itself on the finish?

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, HSB0531 said:

I'm guessing they didn't use enough hardener in the lacquer, and the paint never fully hardened, causing the case fuzz to imprint itself on the finish?

Yep, I'd say you got yourself a warranty claim right there. 

Oh wait...

Edited by velorush
  • Haha 5

It's ok.

It looks Righteously Relic'd

At 43, it looks correct

On 4/8/2024 at 10:09 PM, ChemtoolerB-12 said:

Thank you for the info Ham Rex. 

Hey, is your location of Fort Mysery on the west coast of Florida? We might be neighbors.

Yes! Fort Mysery, Fort Lonesome, Fort Snowturd.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:05 PM, ChemtoolerB-12 said:

IMG_1810.jpg

Very cool and unique! ❤

I have the same finish clean up process on any older Hamer I get; lightly wet sand with 1600 wet/dry, lightly wet sand with 2000 wet/dry, hand or lightly machine compound with 3m perfectit finishing compound, wax with 3m synthetic auto wax.  The results are always incredible..perhaps try a test patch and see what is revealed 

I heard back from the Mark Howell referenced above:

"That's wild. No I never owned, or even played a Hamer. I do; however, have an Ibanez that looks very similar. Neither it nor my Les Paul have my name printed on the headstock."

So, there must be another guitar playing Mark Howell out there.

• Like 3