Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vector repair goodness

Lockbody

Got the call today.

vector-hs-repair.jpg

If it weren't for the splints the repair would be almost invisible. As smooth as it can be, too. Dude threw in a setup so it plays better than ever.

Color me extremely satisfied.

Oh, I meant to add that the repair guy mentioned someone else brought in a Standard that had just had it's headstock broken off during shipping. He showed him my Vector and the dude freaked. Asked if it was for sale. Maybe he'll show up here.

Nice, but... Dude threw in a setup? How ya gonna repair a broken headstock and NOT set it up afterwards? Part of the job, me thinks!

Good luck with it!

Who did the work?

A fella by the name of Jason Burns. He came highly recommended from more than one mom and pop in town.

Super nice guy. Sat down with me beforehand and explained options and then what he was going to do and what to expect. Works in a real old-school store, Homewood Musical Instruments, but take a look at the "V" he builds. He's got some rawk in 'im, too. When he called he said "You know, this is really nice guitar."

Nice, but... Dude threw in a setup? How ya gonna repair a broken headstock and NOT set it up afterwards? Part of the job, me thinks!

Good luck with it!

A dressing too?

Guest pirateflynn

Who did the work?

A fella by the name of Jason Burns. He came highly recommended from more than one mom and pop in town.

Super nice guy. Sat down with me beforehand and explained options and then what he was going to do and what to expect. Works in a real old-school store, Homewood Musical Instruments, but take a look at the "V" he builds. He's got some rawk in 'im, too. When he called he said "You know, this is really nice guitar."

Man, looks like a great job!

Guest Mike Lee

The funny thing about repairs, or upgrades/mods is that each job doesn't take nearly as much time as the total wait time. If it really took that long, the labor cost would go through the roof. Most of the waiting is so the repairman can get through the backlog of other jobs and get to yours. Of course, there are things like curing time for glues and finishes, and necks tend to be better if they are left to sit and stabilize for a while before the fingerboard is radiused (as Hamer does).

I'll bet those splints are a harder wood than the base mahogany, and if so your neck is now probably stronger than it was before the break. How much did he have to refinish? Old Vectors are nitro so the blending can be done almost invisibly.

I'll bet those splints are a harder wood than the base mahogany, and if so your neck is now probably stronger than it was before the break. How much did he have to refinish? Old Vectors are nitro so the blending can be done almost invisibly.

He said the splints are mahogany.

He did a good job on blending the finish. Compared to what I gave him

dumass02.jpg

I couldn't be happier.

Another great thing about the nitro, when I opened the case it smelled just like a new guitar. :angry:

Who did the work?

Nice repair job but if you think that V is nice, check THIS out

website%20pictures%20340-filtered.jpg

A freakin neck-thru Ric type guitar with a Bigsby no less! I want one!!!

Guest Mike Lee

...and a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck, with a TV'Tron in the bridge. Interesting.

Lockbody, even with mahogany splints, I'll bet it's still stronger now than it was before. It's great that he was able to resurrect your guitar. Amazing how such talented people can be found locally if you look hard enough. The standard guitar store tech is a far cry from a real luthier/repairman.

Archived