Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: "Captain" Kirk Douglas (Roots) Gibson SG

Man, read those comments about the QC........

WTF is wrong with Gibson? It isn't like their stuff is inexpensive, and they seem to whiff on little, stupid stuff that makes for a bad impression of the whole process. Can't adjust the pickups?!? Electronics don't work right out of the box??? Unforgivable on a guitar that lists for $2500 IMHO.

Only three posts before someone dropped "my luthier."

I have the same teeth-gritting reaction. Like you're so badass you have your own luthier, along with your driver and cabana boy. I'm pretty sure I've referred to Dr. Schaeffer that way: "You should go to my dentist, as he's great," but it gives me TGP-itis when people start the "my luthier" crap.

I actually wasn't aware of the player ("Captain" Kirk Douglas), but having grown up with Michael Douglass's father as a film star, I wondered what weird "signature" guitar the Gibbos were up to. Imagine my surprise to learn about the Roots' guitar player, whom I didn't know about, and to hear him playing some rather sweet guitar in the clip. Thanks to the OP for turning me onto another player to listen out for.

But I have to say, reading some of the posts on the Gibson site, it was interesting to hear about Sweetwater's policy whereby "...they completely inspect/setup/and photograph all their guitars, and you can compare visually every guitar of a certain model that they have for sale, and choose the one that looks the best to you." That impressed me. They really helped out my bandmate some 13 years ago when he started recording on computer, and they really seem to make service and customer education a priority. I've had the occasion to interview Mitch Gallagher, and he seems like a hugely admirable person, intelligent, insightful, and it seems that the company encourages their people to be like that themselves. I always kind of balk at paying more than Musician Friend prices for new stuff, but I might just rethink that a bit if it means supporting smart and honorable business practices that seem to go against of a lot of the corporate logic of the modern world.

Sorry for the digression. Thanks for the original post.

Archived