hamerhead Posted August 12 Posted August 12 I have a 60-year-old case (in somewhat delicate condition) with 50 years of dust on it. Any good - mild - Tolex-friendly cleaners out there? Thanks. Quote
Saul Goodman Posted August 12 Posted August 12 Just now, hamerhead said: I have a 60-year-old case (in somewhat delicate condition) with 50 years of dust on it. Any good - mild - Tolex-friendly cleaners out there? Thanks. Just spit on it and use your sleeve. 1 Quote
G Man Posted August 12 Posted August 12 I'd try Simple Green on an inconspicuous part of the case and see if that works. 2 Quote
Jimbilly Posted August 12 Posted August 12 Windex or cheapo similar works great for cleaning low end guitars. I would try a gentle automotive vinyl/leather cleaner, I sometimes use Griots (gree ohs) Interior Detailer, it's not harsh and doesn't seem to leave any visible residue, but it does claim to have a UV protectant so it's leaving something on there. I had asked at the counter at Griots for what they would recommend as a gentle vinyl / tolex cleaner 1 Quote
Steve Haynie Posted August 13 Posted August 13 If you have real Tolex try some whitewall cleaner. It works great on old amplifiers. 1 Quote
DaveL Posted August 13 Posted August 13 car detailer (meguiars) or armour all wipes might work... black sharpie blended with your finger to touch up the nicks. goo gone on the sticker residue. naptha if you require high test... Fabreze and let it sit on your deck. but if it stinks I simply return it from where it came from. 2 Quote
topekatj Posted August 15 Posted August 15 (edited) music nomad case cleaner Sponsored Edited August 15 by topekatj 1 Quote
hamerhead Posted August 27 Author Posted August 27 I ended up using a toothbrush and a shop vac to take off the first layer, then some Simple Green followed by a damp cloth. I gave it a light coat of Armor All to finish it off. Worked great and houses this: It's a '64/'65 Hagstrom II. It's had a refin but cleaned up pretty nice. WTF is that foot?? And of course I didn't get a picture of the case. Dumbass. It was my buddy's first guitar, so I made it playable for him again. 4 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.