Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stolen guitar alert

Jeff R

One of George Lynch's favorite touring guitars that was apparently stolen many years ago has turned up on eBay. Anyone remember "Mr. Graffiti?"

86a4_3.jpg

8797_3.jpg

I can't pull up the actual link to the auction due to the firewall here at work, but the keywords "George Lynch" and "ESP" should pull it up.

One of Lynch's diehard fans at USACharvels.com said the guitar was reportedly stolen 10 or so years ago from a guitar repair shop in Redondo Beach. George had this to say on the message board at his website:

the guitar i called "mr. graffitti" was lost due to mysterious circumstances that involved some kind of theft. i have searched for this guitar and considered it a lost cause for the years since it has been gone. i was alerted to the sudden appearance of this guitar on ebay last night and after reading the ad for it, it is up for sale under equally suspicious circumstances, claiming it is up for auction by an annonymous third party.

i am in the process of involving law enforcement in getting it back. i saw the audacity and nerve of the seller's opening bid being at $6000.00 without any regard to how public this is and will be. what i am asking any of you who might be aware of who this is to please come forward with any information. it would be deeply appreciated. thanks g

If anyone happens to have any information, the function to PM George through his message board at George Lynch's website appears to be active.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out that ebay ad...apparently this is the guitar I saw him use at the Monsters of Rock/Texas Jam in '88 at the Cotton Bowl. Hairpiece singer was bitchin' the whole time cause skunkboy's guitar kept crapping out. This musta been the one.

Brody's correct on the era, Lou. I saw Dokken open for Aerosmith on the "Permanent Vacation" tour in either late '87 or early '88 and Lynch used Mr. Graffiti probably half the show.

Saw Dokken in 86 and he was using the tiger striped ones, but my memory is fading! They opened for Loverboy! I remember all the metal heads heading for the exits after their set.

Edited to add: Saw Lynch Mob in '92, don't remember that one being used. But at that time he was pimping the skull and snakes guitar and some other esp's.

Saw Dokken in 86 and he was using the tiger striped ones, but my memory is fading! They opened for Loverboy! I remember all the metal heads heading for the exits after their set.

Why? Very little difference between the two bands.

One of the oddest pairings I've ever seen at a concert, except where crappy local bands have opened up.

Guest JackButler

Saw several Dokken tours where he played that one! Brings back memories! btw..HUGE difference between Loverboy and Dokken..you may wanna take another listen.

Wost pairing I ever saw was Iron Maiden opening for Molly Hatchet and ZZ Top!

HUGE difference between Loverboy and Dokken..you may wanna take another listen.

Effeminate image and songwriting, excellent guitarist with great tone .... nope, still not seeing/hearing the difference between the two.

And I thought Aerosmith and Dokken was a mismatch - Dokken and Loverboy sounds even pitiful worse. +1 on JackButler's comments. Chris, dig out your old high school cassettes and refresh because you've missed the mark on your assessment. By the way, sorry if I'm being a dick LOL.

On a related note: Almost as bad as Ratt opening for Billy Squire, or Squier, or however the fuck it's spelled, when I caught it in New Orleans in '85 on the "Out In The Cellar" tour. You talk about a bunch of people leaving halfway through the show.

Ratt had the LA metal thing going, cool songs, looks and incredible stage show/presence (an opening band, I remind you), Charvels and Jacksons galore (and admit it, EVERYONE wanted one back in '84-85, we just couldn't afford them): You name it, it was all there. Not to mention all the fucking girls at that show. I saw more tits at the concert than I did at the titty bars later that night.

Billy, on the other hand, was prancing around like a jackslapped monkey fuckstick. Outta there three songs into his set.

Effeminate image and songwriting, excellent guitarist with great tone .... nope, still not seeing/hearing the difference between the two.

Well then I will compliment you on your guitar playing cause I sure as hell couldn't play that good if I was deaf! :ph34r:

Billy, on the other hand, was prancing around like a jackslapped monkey fuckstick.

I have never seen a monkey fuckstick after a good jackslapping, but I can visualize how that would play out after seeing Billy Squire live.

Thanks, Jeff, I may have never known how jackslappage can affect monkey fucksticks.

Well then I will compliment you on your guitar playing cause I sure as hell couldn't play that good if I was deaf! :ph34r:

Feh. You '80s refugees think Dokken were heavier than what they were, and Loverboy were lighter than what they were. We're talking about two cheesy pop bands with a hard rock guitar sound. And I've seen and heard a lot of both bands within the past week on VH1 Classic and the Music Choice digital cable channels. I stand by my assessment.

I too apologize if I'm coming off like a dick. I'm actually enjoying this discussion.

It appears that Mr. Lynch does not have a police report to back up his version of the events.

From the ad:

This is in response to George Lynch and the EBay community in regards to Mr. Lynch’s inflammatory comments concerning this instrument being “lost or stolen”.

Your recollection is incorrect. Let me reiterate that you did indeed give this guitar as a gift in October 1997, to the current owner, in front of witnesses in your home with your family members present. A lot can happen in 10 years and even more can be forgotten, which is the case here. It is unfortunate that you have chosen these means to try to sabotage this auction.

I want to make this very clear that I am a hard working, honest person who has never stolen anything in my life or associate with people who do so. Do you really think that if I thought there was a shred of truth to your claims that I would be stupid enough to broker this on EBay in front of the whole world? I have already promptly responded to your inquiry and find it disturbing that you choose to post blogs, pleading to your fans for any information about this guitar when you could have the authorities (law enforcement) or EBay themselves contact me directly if there were any validity to your claims. As you can see, I am very confident of the facts surrounding how the current owner established ownership of this guitar.

I will no longer be responding to any of the obscene and threatening e-mails received regarding this matter, don’t waste your time. As stated on the blog by an insightful individual, if these claims were true, this auction would have be closed by EBay immediately. I hope everybody understands that the only reason the current owner wishes to remain anonymous is to avoid all of this BS.

Let this put to rest all of the false claims and misinformation regarding this instrument and how it was obtained. As to the serious bidders, please do not ask for this auction to be ended early. It will run the full course.

To all of the legitimate bidders trying to ask questions, please except my apologies if I do not respond in a timely manner due to the overwhelming number of bogus e-mails I have received today.

Well, well, well...a story sure can change when given the chance, huh?

Let me reiterate that you did indeed give this guitar as a gift in October 1997, to the current owner, in front of witnesses in your home with your family members present.

Do you really think that if I thought there was a shred of truth to your claims that I would be stupid enough to broker this on EBay in front of the whole world?

Sometimes the other person's version of a story is so obvious and delivered with such conviction that you almost HAVE to lend it some weight, if not a lot of weight. However, when in cases like this I usually lean toward the "Basic Instinct" form of logic, where Sharon Stone's character proclaims while being interrogated, "I'd have to be pretty stupid to write a book about killing and then kill somebody the way I described it in my book. I'd be announcing myself as the killer. I'm not stupid."

Then you stop and think, "Well, that makes perfect sense....but it doesn't mean that his/her version is true. That proclamation doesn't make it so."

Then there is the point that ebaY has not slammed this door shut. God knows they'll shut down an auction if one of your commas is in the wrong place, so this is very odd. It only helps the seller's version, in my opinion.

Someone needs to come forward with a Police report, a Thank You note, a photo of the guitar changing hands to the current "owner," or a quote from the supposed "family members present."

Until then, I've already devoted all of the grey matter that I can on the subject.

Can steroids or tanning beds affect memory? ; )

JK, I don't know any of that as fact. Saw George in a guitar clinic b4 and he seemed preety cool. This whole story just seems kinda weird at this point.

I am a hard working, honest person who has never stolen anything in my life or associate with people who do so.

That right there is a lie. He's running an auction on eBay, isn't he? By nature, then, he's associating with the world's lowlifes, scheisters and scumbags.

Feh. You '80s refugees think Dokken were heavier than what they were, and Loverboy were lighter than what they were. We're talking about two cheesy pop bands with a hard rock guitar sound. And I've seen and heard a lot of both bands within the past week on VH1 Classic and the Music Choice digital cable channels. I stand by my assessment.

I too apologize if I'm coming off like a dick. I'm actually enjoying this discussion.

You got to listen to the song Tooth and nail or Mr. Scary if you don't think they were heavy at all.

Yeah, I'll agree that most of thier videos were pretty weak and could easily give a bad impression.

You got to listen to the song Tooth and nail or Mr. Scary if you don't think they were heavy at all.

Yeah, I'll agree that most of thier videos were pretty weak and could easily give a bad impression.

"Tooth and Nail" And "Back for the Attack" were actually the two Dokken albums I owned. I'm not saying they weren't heavy at times, they just weren't nearly as heavy as a lot of guitar fans make them out to be.

I'll even go so far as to say that Mike Reno was a better frontman than Don Dokken. That guy was the WORST! And the covers of "Get Lucky" and "Under Lock and Key"? Equally sissified.

i gotta agree. the only difference i see/hear is keyboards, and geography (LA vs canada). george sure can play, but dokken was pop metal. i'd lump ratt/dokken/loverboy/poison/greatwhitelionsnake in the same mainstream pop metal boat. "U.S.S. POSER dead ahead, fire torpedos!!" :ph34r:

ps- greatwhitelionsnake TM 199? brusier brody holdings, worldwide

PSS- shame what those damn vandals did to that perfectly good guitar, ha.

i saw a gearpage thread where a guy was on a fancy gig somewhere, and was asked to play another guitar, as heis relic'd tele looked too crappy for the environment.

Archived