Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Project guitar-WANTED

I need a Hamer carcass (neck and body combo). It can be beatup, could have a repaired headstock, etc. Not with the finish stripped, though.

Here's what I want-

Phantom, Prototype I or II, Special. Sustainblock tremelo routing. I might consider a setneck 24.75" Chapp, too.

Whattaya got?

Paults is goin' all Ace Frehley on us (Ace is a god!).

C'mon Paul, admit it, you're looking for rocket launchers and smoking pickups, right?

Oh no. You're not. PLEASE tell me you're not.

I do have that 80's Blitz with the hockey stick headstock. It has a floyd. It has no pickups, but you won't need those anyway, will you.

LOL! I thought about that Blitz, but I'd prefer something more neutral-looking. If I can find the right guitar,Dave, I probably will fire up the router. At least I'm not thinking about using a Sunburst!

LOL! I thought about that Blitz, but I'd prefer something more neutral-looking. If I can find the right guitar,Dave, I probably will fire up the router. At least I'm not thinking about using a Sunburst!

I'm sure you have a saw. ;-)

I'll "cut" you a deal.....

How badass would it be to hear a sitar or banjo sound coming from a hockeystick Blitz????

Somebody doin' a little Variax customization?

Give that man a cigar!

Now that I can design my own guitar models (Variax Workbench software), I would like the electronics to be in something that plays like a Hamer. Depending on the guitar, there might still be a regular pickup or two in it.

You'd be pleased at how good a Les Paul Junior sounds with a hot single coil added at the neck and the middle positions. And that Rick 360-12 with two strat pickups.. The strat with lipsticks, the humbucker sitar, the 12-string acoustic with low octave strings, the high octave open-G tuned ES-175 with a Rick toaster pickup installed at the 12th fret. I suppose I could think of silly stuff, too

I've got a pawn shop prize, a Phantom GT model. It's been poorly refined, kind of Barney purple metalflake, you might call it something worse. I did buy it this way, by the way. The only way you know it's a Hamer is because it says so on the back of the volume pot. One pickup, SD Distortion, one volume, Kahler trem(black, needs an arm) with locking mechenism . Half a pickguard. No serial number, no Hamer headstock logo. No case. I can e-mail some pics if you'd like.

Paul- Somehow I missed the "finish not stripped" proviso. The finish on mine is most definitely stripped. It now sits with several coats of lacquer-based primer that I am using for a combo of primer and grain-filler.

Sorry... *blush*

• 1 month later...

Hey Paul,

I've got an original blue Phantom...missing it's headstock..and missing all parts except for the scratchplate..finish is bad, too

My man was just about to start the fix..I was gonna go the whole hog on it..

Only problem is...I'm in Australia..might not be worth the freight...

BTW..does Hamer still sell the triple humbuckers?

Peace

Actually, the triple humbucker is a ring with a regular Hamer Slammer Humbucker and a Special Hamer single coil. The two act independently.

I have a few rings and a few original pickups sets about, maybe we can trade?

Paul:

Does this mean that you have given the variax concept a second chance?

IIRC you bought a 300 early on and decided you didn't like it much. Did a different model do it for you or have there been firmware improvements or somthing along those lines (besides workbench being made available)?

I had a 500 when they first came out, but thought the models were too low in output, and don't care much for 25.5" scale on a fat neck. I recently got another 500, put a Warmoth 24.75" conversion neck on it, and upgraded it to the latest firmware.

Workbench makes the Variax something worth revisiting, if you like the concept, but find the stock sounds lacking. I turned up the strat, put a humbucker at the bridge, made a Junior with SSH pickups, a Rick 12 with fender pickups, etc.. The acoustics in the newest firmware sound much better than before. Alternate tunings can be programmed, too.

I got a "rescued from the scrapheap" SS1 from Greg last month that will most likely get a little routing in the back, when I have a big enough block of time to get it done.

Archived